starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Snatch check 95lbs

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Deads often make people's faces red and require a lot of effort. If you held your back in extension, your torso served as a more efficient transmitter of force and the pulls may have felt better.

It also helped with snatches and cleans - 110 6x2 and 135 5x3 respectively, last time was 105 and 125 4x3 and 130 1x3.

But the back arch helped me really dig into my effort on it. It's not as hard to get there on the other lifts, because the bar being in a position to kill you if it drops is enough of an impetus.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    The wide grip in the snatch will result in a different, more horizontal, back angle than a deadlift™.
    Yes.

And I'll add: If you are a normal sized/proportioned person, with less than ideal flexibility/mobility . . . get used to your hips being sky high with an extended back with the bar over midfoot at the start (set up). Raising your hips will (usually) allow you to get into better back extension.

Regardless of your back angle and where the bar is in relation to your midfoot, pulling in full flexion is not a good idea and will not result in good force transfer.
    OK, agree.

Emulate this young woman. Note her nice, flat back. Her shoulders are in front of the bar, her shins are more or less vertical, and the bar is over the middle of the foot (or pretty damn close to it).

But, that last statement, you are noting where all that lifter's geometry is at the time when the 1st pull is almost over. (bolded part)
    So what does that have to do with the initial set up?

This was how that bar left the ground just FYI:
    just saying.

The screen on the right is all jacked up/crooked.
    The lift left the ground well forward of SSDMFTM (Starting Strength Def. of Mid Foot)
    If you don't believe my lines, put YT in slow mo and 1080 and full screen. . .
    Watch her setup before she lifts (when her shin are vertical).
    Watch her shoes . . . the heel lifts a little at first.
    Bar and/or balance is balls of the foot at first, then shifts back later in the lift.

2017 European Weightlifting Championships, Women 69 kg - B - YouTube
    (somewhere around 21:40 if it doesn't time stamp right)

Yours truly,
    Pussy

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    But, that last statement, you are noting where all that lifter's geometry is at the time when the 1st pull is almost over. (bolded part)
    So what does that have to do with the initial set up?
    Nothing. Nor have I made any claims regarding that picture with respect to the setup. In fact, I chose that photo quite carefully. The OP looked like a turtle, with a fully flexed spine during his snatches. This was true at the bottom and got worse as he picked the bar up off the ground. I wanted to show him an example of good positioning in the middle of the pull with the back held in proper extension, the bar over the midfoot, and the shoulders in front of the bar. Regardless of where the bar starts, this is where it tends to end up near the end of the first pull and well before the second pull occurs.

It does not surprise me in the least that Ms. Hahn starts with the bar well ahead of the midfoot. I would have been shocked if she did not.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12