starting strength gym

Thread: Re: Labrum Repair Rehab

Exclamation Re: Labrum Repair Rehab

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    i had posted a thread 2-3 weeks ago, which got locked.
    I have a few more questions now.

So i started doing the PVC pipe in the rings protocol @5.5 weeks out and am improving ROM pretty fast.
    now @6.5 weeks and just a few sessions away from 180 degree flexion overhead.

But i noticed two things
    1)My repaired shoulder is shrugging up significantly while raising my arm in front of me (flexion) as well as while lifting to the side (Abduction)
    although this hasn't caused any pain YET, with doing the ring protocol.

2)The scapula of the operated side is winging slightly. I suppose they call it dyskinesis for that level of winging which isn't very visually significant, yet is constantly affecting my posture.

note:- I saw your podcast with Rip, Mr.Wolf and i learnt that your injury was an acute one. But in my case, my labrum was torn atleast 4 years ago and i had just worsened it even further this time around requiring surgery. So is it possible that my arm being subluxed ended up causing nerve damage of some sort? possibly to the long thoracic nerve?
    Any PT/Ortho SSCs who can answer this please!!?

Don't allow a significant compensation to make the ROM. You want the stretch and increased ROM to come from the GH joint that was operated on, not by working around it. If that means your progress is a bit slower, so be it.

How do you know your scapula is winging?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Don't allow a significant compensation to make the ROM. You want the stretch and increased ROM to come from the GH joint that was operated on, not by working around it. If that means your progress is a bit slower, so be it.

How do you know your scapula is winging?
    well, i took photos of my back and it shows winging and i 'feel' the slight winging constantly disturbing my posture. It's not very significant but i get this constant feeling to protract my scapula to relieve myself of the irritation. I guess i'm trying to activate my serratus muscle?

Also that shrugging i mentioned has since gradually reduced everyday to a very little shrug now. It's improving. I'm still at 170ish degree flexion but reducing shrugging everyday.
    btw, Any PT SSCs who can answer the last question of the OP? I dont have ANY competent PTs in my town

can i also use this thread as a rehab progress diary so that it doesn't get locked?

Glad to hear about the reduction in shrugging. Stay focused on that and keep it up.

I'd like an SSC PT opinion on the winging scapula too. I tend to be skeptical, but someone who sees and treats this for a living would have more experience and perspective than I.

Quote Originally Posted by Surya View Post
    can i also use this thread as a rehab progress diary so that it doesn't get locked?
    That's what the training log section is for, Surya. Start a log, you won't regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Glad to hear about the reduction in shrugging. Stay focused on that and keep it up.

I'd like an SSC PT opinion on the winging scapula too. I tend to be skeptical, but someone who sees and treats this for a living would have more experience and perspective than I.

That's what the training log section is for, Surya. Start a log, you won't regret it.
    I get that Mr.wolf, it's just that i'm sure I will have more questions on way of my rehab and thought it wouldn't be nice to keep making new threads. So, what do you suggest ?

starting strength coach development program
    We close threads after a week of inactivity and making exceptions is not feasible. Keep making new threads, link to the older ones. It's fine.