starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does grip training increase forearm size?

Question Does grip training increase forearm size?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I stumbled across this article today: Untitled Document (davidhorne-gripmaster)

I'm curious if anyone around here has done the same/similar program, and if they've noticed any measurable increase in forearm size. Normally I wouldn't care about such things, but my forearms only measure 11.75", and they've only grown 1/4" with 30lb of weight gain this year. I doubt the above program would cause too much added stress to my HLM template, since I would be using stupid light weights.
    Last edited by Aaron Montgomery; 07-24-2017 at 06:15 PM. Reason: weird link issues

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    I stumbled across this article today: Untitled Document (davidhorne-gripmaster)

I'm curious if anyone around here has done the same/similar program, and if they've noticed any measurable increase in forearm size. Normally I wouldn't care about such things, but my forearms only measure 11.75", and they've only grown 1/4" with 30lb of weight gain this year. I doubt the above program would cause too much added stress to my HLM template, since I would be using stupid light weights.
    Yes. Grip training will significantly hypertrophy forearms.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    Yes. Grip training will significantly hypertrophy forearms.
    Alright Mr. Hanley, if I go through with this program and don't see significant hypertrophy, I'll want you to landscape my back yard for recompense.

just a note....i fucked up my elbow some how with grippers. I was doing density sets 3x a week with the #1 either i was doing it too often or the movement just doesnt like me...for now its just deadlifts and timed static holds

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larousse View Post
    just a note....i fucked up my elbow some how with grippers. I was doing density sets 3x a week with the #1 either i was doing it too often or the movement just doesnt like me...for now its just deadlifts and timed static holds
    How many minutes for the density sets?

The muscles will grow, sure...the forearms are pretty well known for being "stubborn" in many people, bit like the calves.

I use the Captains of Crush and my forearms blow up, but afterwards they just shrink back to normal. Haven't seen much size change though of the years, I agree with Chris in regards to them being like the calves.

Another thing that kinda relates them to the calves is that can be strong without being particularly large and some people can have great forearms without ever doing anything specifically for them in their entire lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris McCarthy View Post
    Another thing that kinda relates them to the calves is that can be strong without being particularly large and some people can have great forearms without ever doing anything specifically for them in their entire lives.
    And then there are those of us who have both weak and small forearms. I tried going through the motions of wrist curls and rev wrist curls with a light 15lb bar. My wrists sounded like a bowl of Rice Krispies, and it wasn't particularly comfortable. The tendons/ligaments under my wrists felt agitated/slightly burning, especially with regular wrist curls when my hands are hanging down (not flexing). Hmmm, guess I'll keep the volume and weights down for a while, and try to give my forearms a chance to get used to this new activity.

My calves aren't particularly big, 16", but they've grown with just squats, deadlifts, and being in a caloric surplus.

starting strength coach development program
    I've gotten more mileage out of pinch block lifts and hub lifts, than grippers. Also, doing extensor work like finger extension lifts has really helped with muscle imbalance between flexors and extensors.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast