starting strength gym

Thread: Strength Training for Endurance Athletes

Default Strength Training for Endurance Athletes

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi coaches and thanks for your time,

I normally do endurance events and races, but I'm about 9 weeks into the Novice LP trying to improve my strength. My intent was to run the LP as far as I could before adding in any endurance training. I missed lifts on consecutive session yet, but don't seem to be recovering enough to add weight every session. Guessing I'm at or on the verge of advanced novice for squat and deadlift (still progressing on other lifts) and I'm hoping to get some advice about continuing strength training mixed with endurance training.

31M, 6'2
    Starting (Current)
    Weight: 205 (215)

Squat: 175x5 (305x5)
    Deadlift: 225x5 (335x5, missed at 345x4 last session)
    Bench: 115x5 (170x5)
    Press: 75x5 (112.5x5)
    Power Clean: 85x3 (150x3)

If I reduce barbell training to 2x/ week (once I've stalled on squat and deadlift) to start endurance training again, should I continue the LP progression on my other lifts? I'd like to preserve as much strength as I can or even continue to increase strength on bench, press, and cleans if possible. Or is there a more intelligent way to go about this?

What type of strength programming would you generally recommend for endurance athletes, given the reduced recovery resources from endurance work?

Once you get into doing both at the same time, you're just going to see how you recover. This will depend greatly on your endurance training load and schedule. I'd say that your strength numbers are pretty good for someone whose main focus is endurance, so don't worry too much about it. However I am a little suspicious because a 175 squat is higher than most guys start, and people focused on endurance tend to start lower than the average as it is, so I'd like to see a video of your squat.

I think ultimately answering your question in a truly proper fashion might need a personalized programming consultation, taking into account in season/off season stuff, your personal schedule etc...but something like the following template might work, if it fits your overall goals and schedule.

Monday: Heavy squat, bench, chins
    Tuesday: Medium endurance workout
    Weds: Hard endurance workout
    Thurs: off
    Fri: Light squat, press, deadlift
    Saturday: longest endurance workout of the week
    Sun: Off

Yeah I realize detailed programming is outside the scope of a forum post. Just wanted to see if I was generally on track - thanks for the advice Michael.

I did run Stronglifts 5x5 last year (didn't know about SS at the time) and worked up to #260x5 squat/ #285x5 deadlift/ 180x5 bench, so some prior experience to the lifts. My 1RM squat a year ago (before 5x5) was #200. I'll definitely take any form critique though, and will try to get a video up.

For what it's worth by "endurance" I don't mean marathons, triathalons, etc... The events I'm into are typically 12-24+ hrs and involve covering long distances with a ruck (#30-50), loaded carries for distance (sandbags, logs, other people), and PT movements (often with a ruck on). So repeated sub-maximal effort for sure, but more strength requirement than running or cycling for example.

Ah, that's a somewhat different thing than the marathons and triathlons and endurance events of that ilk, that I assumed you to be talking about. More strength is probably useful for your events than for the marathons.

After reading your reply I realized I probably needed to clarify "endurance event/ race".

Here's the first set of #305x5 from Wednesday, went 3x5 after missing it 2/3/2 on Monday. I have a bad habit of looking up that I haven't completely gotten rid of, creeps back in when the weight gets heavy (used to be worse).

These are high bar squats. They are not bad, although you do have a tendency to be slightly on your toes on the way up. Having read the sticky, you also know that filming squats from the front is one of the least useful angles for providing meaningful form critique.

Thanks Tom, I guess I'd been doing what felt like a low bar but obviously that's wrong. I did read the sticky and tried to get 45* but must have missed that part, my mistake.

Starting over from scratch - reviewed the squat chapter in the book and went very light trying to get this right. I'm hoping this is a better low bar squat but can probably still use some improvement.

Drive your knees out to the sides harder. Instead of lifting your chest first, drive your butt up first. Cut your depth off by an inch or so.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Tom, appreciate the guidance.