Default DL follow up check 375

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Coach C!

Basic info:
    Male, 26 6'1
    Bw floating at 220-225

Would appreciate a follow up DL check when you get a moment. My previous DL thread has been closed (I can find the video if you would like to see and compare), but I do remember you saying two distinct things:
    1) quicken the pace between reps
    2) fix the lumbar flexion

I did 375 again today and I'm not too happy. I tried to have a better cadence (hence the rocking in the bottom) but I still see some good amount of flexion, especially as I tire. Im not sure if the weight is just too heavy for my low back, or I just suck at having lower back awareness. Probably a bit of both. At any rate, I'm also posting a back off triple at 340 (I'm sorry for breaking the rules) to see if that may help your analysis. I'm going to try and make my way back to ATL barbell sometime in October for some in person coaching with Alex Kennedy again. Thank you for the help!

1x5 375 DL check 8.14 - YouTube
    1x3 340
    DL back off check 8.14 - YouTube

The weight looks light for you and the bar moves quickly, but you are still not doing a good job of holding your back flat. That is especially true on the heavy set. Setting and holding your back in extension will be a lot of work and will probably make things feel heavier initially. Prepare yourself for that. Then, squeeze up and continue to contract your spinal erectors as you pull the bar off the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    The weight looks light for you and the bar moves quickly, but you are still not doing a good job of holding your back flat. That is especially true on the heavy set. Setting and holding your back in extension will be a lot of work and will probably make things feel heavier initially. Prepare yourself for that. Then, squeeze up and continue to contract your spinal erectors as you pull the bar off the ground.
    Thanks for the look, Coach. Yeah, I'm definitely happy with how quickly the bar comes off the floor and the progress that I have made but at the same time I'm frustrated that I'm not pulling in a good position, either. This lift has definitely been the most difficult for me to get down! I'll drop a little weight again and really focus on staying locked hard in extension. Appreciate the help!

In addition to that which the knowledge wellspring, Mr. Campitelli, has stated, I will add that the "leg press the floor" cue is awfully useful for me to keep my back locked in. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlifts View Post
    In addition to that which the knowledge wellspring, Mr. Campitelli, has stated, I will add that the "leg press the floor" cue is awfully useful for me to keep my back locked in. YMMV.
    Yeah, that's a good cue. I'll try and focus on that next time. I definitely need something to focus on. The frustrating thing is I think this is a 'feel' thing, not a 'weight' thing. I need to know the difference between what staying locked in extension is and rounding into flexion is and right now I'm not sure I do. Getting yelled at in person is probably the best option haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Coach Campitelli, watching the video, I was wondering how much spinal extension/ propensity for flexion is affected by torso length, specifically that it seems ( although the angle of video isn't optimal) that the barbell is quite far away from being just under the spine of the scapula.
    Thank you,
    Kevin

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin don View Post
    Coach Campitelli, watching the video, I was wondering how much spinal extension/ propensity for flexion is affected by torso length, specifically that it seems ( although the angle of video isn't optimal) that the barbell is quite far away from being just under the spine of the scapula.
    I don't know that barbell should be under the spine of the scapula, nor that the OP's scapular spines are any further from the bar than is usual. Since the spine of the scapula is not a point but a line, and is not arranged in parallel with the barbell, putting it over the bar becomes more difficult yet.