starting strength gym

Thread: baseball (pitchers especially) lifting question

Default baseball (pitchers especially) lifting question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi, I recently sent this e-mail question to Darin Deaton, but I thought what the heck why don't I ask everyone their opinions. While I respect and would like to hear all SS Disciple opinions, I would especially like to hear the opinions of those in the medical field(s). Thanks!

Hello Darin, my name is Travis Greer and I am a High School PE Teacher in Olathe, KS. I just watched you presentation on Barbell use in the clinic and I thought you might be the man I need to talk to.

I teach a few Strength and Conditioning classes, run our winter and summer after school weights program, and teach everyone the techniques taught in SSBBT 3rd Edition. I have practiced the SS techniques in my own lifting for the past few years and have taught them to every student I have had for the past two. In my weight room I teach the squat, press, deadlift, bench press, power clean, chin up, and pull up. Once in a blue moon we will front squat, close grip bench, barbell row, barbell curl, and jump up stairs.

Recently, I have had a few baseball players, parents, and coaches ask me about modification to upper body lifts. Not lifting overhead, not benching, and not lifting heavy being the most common. I always give them this list of reason why the athlete will be perfectly fine with all upper body lifts as they are taught…

1: I teach correct bench press technique that does not impinge the shoulder joint and will make the shoulder strong and healthy.
    2: Lifting will only be done with the technique that is taught and will always be followed. No exceptions
    3: We do press, chins, and pull-ups, which strengthens and develops more of the shoulder and upper back that is usually underdeveloped due to only bench pressing.
    4: Our workout always matches relative intensity with the appropriate volume (Table 7-1 in PPST)
    5: The stronger you are the healthier you will stay, the weaker you are the more likely you will get hurt.

What are your opinions or experiences with baseball players (more specifically pitchers) at the high school level and upper body lifting?
    Would you agree with my above list? Would you add or subtract anything from it?
    What are baseball coaches so damn worried about and are they justified?
    Any other advice or information would be very appreciated.
    Last edited by Tom Campitelli; 08-22-2017 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Removed bolding and underlining because it was unnecessary and giving me a headache.

The idea that lifting weights is dangerous and bad for you is fairly deeply held. Baseball coaches are not the only ones that suffer from this. See if you can get the coaches to lift with you.

I played ball my whole life, including college. I was a pitcher and had a pretty good heater. I actually had to stop playing because I hurt my back. Never quite figured out what happened. Turned out I was WEAK. We did all sorts of silly workout bullshit, most notably 'sport specific' stuff like balancing on a bosu ball, etc. Maybe this stuff has its place for more advanced players but my back pain went away when I started squatting and deadlifting, not doing that weird stuff. My shoulders felt 10000x when I started pressing more. I've seen countless tommy johns and torn labrums and while there are many factors contributing to these injuries, many of those individuals were just weak and underweight. I wish I could go back to high school and run the program and pitch again.

It's not much better in college, either. The programs that do lift, are usually the better teams

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    The idea that lifting weights is dangerous and bad for you is fairly deeply held. Baseball coaches are not the only ones that suffer from this. See if you can get the coaches to lift with you.
    Are you familiar with Kyle Boddy at Driveline Baseball: Driveline Baseball - Data-Driven Baseball Performance Training

He posted on this site when he was first starting out. He's an advocate of Rip's work and general approach. He's gone on to do tremendous work with pitchers ranging from high-school athletes to professionals (including a Cy Young Winner).

If not, just wanted to get him on your radar.

Thank you all for your input. Appreciate the SS community.