starting strength gym

Thread: Impact of Metacarpal Fracture's on Wrist Extension

Default Impact of Metacarpal Fracture's on Wrist Extension

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Coaches,

I have recently gotten in front of Niki and am making great progress; however, an interesting (if minor) peculiarity was observed during the press, bench, and squat. During the press and bench, I show a tendency to extend my right wrist beyond 15 degrees unless I focus extremely hard on maintaining an almost neutral angle. On the squat, my right hand will 'shift' approximately an inch and a half wider than my left - I now just start with it wider than my left from the center of the bar. During conversation with Niki, I mentioned that in 2014 I experienced a rather nasty fracture of the base of the fifth metacarpal on my right hand, a V- shaped fracture (the point of the V facing the distal end of the bone), as well as an avulsion fracture involving the extensor carpi ulnaris muscle (I believe this to be the correct muscle). The surgeon ended up repairing this with a plate and 5 screws, and I had no issues recovering from the surgery.

Would any of you have thoughts about how/if this would result in the above mentioned behavior?

Thanks and Warm Regards!

It certainly could be the cause, or maybe it isn't. I sometimes extend my left wrist more than my right on the bench, but I haven't suffered any fractures. So, definitely maybe. Are you in pain? Can you get your wrist into the correct position without pain? If you can do the latter, then it is probably just something you need to focus on and it may get a little better with time.

I experience no pain in my surgically repaired hand unless someone gives me an unnecessarily firm handshake or the weather is bad. I can fully flex and extend both wrists. Thank you very much for the insight!