starting strength gym

Thread: Starting Strength Coaches in Ontario (GTA)

Default Starting Strength Coaches in Ontario (GTA)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Greetings,

I apologize if this is the wrong section for the question... (also as a Canadian tradition)

Who are the preferred Starting Strength Coaches in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA)?

A forum search pulled up a recommendation for Alex Cibiri in Mississauga from 2012... is that still a recommend / the only game in town?

Thanks

We do not have any coaches there, unfortunately.

Alex is a good dude but has not been a Starting Strength Coach for a while now, about two years I believe. When I last saw him in 2014, it already seemed like he didn't teach the SS lifts much anymore, though admittedly that was only my impression, we didn't discuss in detail. I really have no idea if he still does, but he owns a gym and coaches for a living and did not keep up his certification, which is suggestive.

I do travel to Michigan frequently for work (automotive)... maybe I can try to time some sessions with work... or convince the wife to take a trip around some in-person coaching.

I'm sure Sully or Chris would be happy to see you.

New to the forum. Been working with Alex since May on the lifts using Starting Strength methods. He is a great coach and follows the books. If you want more details please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pawn View Post
    Greetings,

I apologize if this is the wrong section for the question... (also as a Canadian tradition)

Who are the preferred Starting Strength Coaches in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA)?

A forum search pulled up a recommendation for Alex Cibiri in Mississauga from 2012... is that still a recommend / the only game in town?

Thanks
    Pawn,

I've been coached by Alex Cibiri during 2015 & 2016. When I first went to him in 2015, I believe he was still an SSC, but regardless, he coached me on the Squat, Bench Press, Press (Both 1.0 & 2.0), Deadlift, and Power Clean, according to the models in Starting Strength.

In 2016, both my lady and I went to see him on a weekly basis during the 1st half of the year. During that time, he successfully taught my lady (who previously never lifted), how to properly squat, bench, press, and deadlift, all as per the SS model. He had her do SS Novice LP and never mentioned anything else.

For me (during 2016) he helped to improve my form enough that when I went to NYC to compete in the SS Spring Challenge, Dana Zilber (SSC who was running the meet) asked me who my coach was because she was impressed with my squat form during competition. I mentioned to her that it was Alex, and she said she wasn't surprised.

I understand that this is the Starting Strength website, and that SSC's are the preferred coaches. I simply wanted to share my N=1 experience with Alex Cibiri, in case you did not want to travel to Michigan to be coached. That being said, I've also traveled to NYC for a Squat camp with Dr. Petrizzo and Nick D'Agostino.

Cheers.

starting strength coach development program
    Yes yes, technically this is the SS Website, but it's good to hear Alex is still doing this, even if he's no longer an SSC, as long as he's not advertising or claiming such. OP, you can make your own decision here now with a bit more info.