starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Follow-up

Default Squat Form Follow-up

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,

I've applied LP to my 60 kg squat corrected in this first thread : https://startingstrength.com/resourc...orm-check.html Sorry for double thread, the other one was closed.

90kg 3rd set of 5 - YouTube

The weight is now at 90kg and feeling really heavy. I thought I would film it again to see how it looks. I'm a bit concerned with my low back flexing on the video, also my elbows seem a bit high again.
    I'm going a bit deeper than before I think. And when I'm squatting 40kg as warm-up at that depth I still see my lumbar spine a bit in flexion.
    I'm actively extending my low back all the way and I don't feel like I'm "loosing it", but I do feel end-range of motion in my hips.... don't know if that makes sense.

Should I cut back on the weight, or work on this poor hip mobility? Or it's fine and I can keep on going?
    Thanks for your input

Your spine is flexing a little. More than I would like to see. You are also correct that your elbows are too high. Your hip mobility is likely fine, however. Here are my recommendations. Widen your stance an inch or two. Drive your knees out harder. Drop your elbows. All of this should make some room for you at the bottom and encourage you to stay in normal extension. As an aside, are you able to voluntarily overextend your lumbar spine while it is unloaded? If you do not have control of your lumbar spine, there is a little section in the book that goes over how to do the superman exercise to show you what you need to be able to do.

Thanks for the tips I'll cut some weight and will work on that the next few workouts and hopefully show some progress. I can already hear my stiff adductors screaming at me with a wider stance, but I'm coming for them!

I read this section in the book and saw the videos from SS on the lumbar spine control. I can control my lumbar spine while it's unloaded, but in my last DL session I had trouble keeping my back in extension, especially on last rep : DL 100kg - YouTube. It sure becomes heavy for me but I think I could maintain a better back position if my grip was better, I use chalk but the barbell is still going down on my fingers on the last 2 reps. I feel like I can keep a solid back position with heavier weights and continue LP on my DL but I don't want to go alternate grip so early because of that weak grip, I checked SS videos and will try the hook grip for that matter.

Hook grip for the win.

Also, your butt is too low on the deads, which pushes the bar ahead of the midfoot. Hips higher. Bar back a bit. Lastly, sandwiches. Don't be afraid of eating them. Frequently.

Thanks! I tried with a my butt a bit higher and it felt easier on both the deadlifts and the power snatch, my hamstrings are really sore, I probably wasn't using them in the first place with my butt too low.

As for the squat, I'm trying the wider stance and cut back 15 kg. My low back feels better after a workset, but it might only be because it's lighter or I'm still not deep enough? At the moment that's the depth where my back doesn't round too much. What do you think?

45° : YouTube

Side : YouTube

Lastly, sandwiches. Don't be afraid of eating them. Frequently.
    I'm on GOMAD, (almost, 3 out of 4 liters at the moment) and my other lifts are going well. Gained 18 pounds so far, but my weekend warrior occupation isn't helping on gaining weight.

Go deeper. Get your knees forward earlier in the descent, too.

I tried the cue with the knees forward earlier and it's feeling much smoother like this. But I'm not getting deeper, am I?
    YouTube
    I did go one set deeper, according to my friend, but he told me I had lumbar flexion going on again (the lines of my shirt "disappearing"), and I could feel it myself on my low back.

And I failed last reps at 110kg on my deadlift because of my weak double overhand grip, so I'm definitely going for the hook grip. Would you advice warming-up all the way with hook grip to get used to the pain and discomfort for some time and then going back on standard grip for warm-ups to keep strenghtening my grip? Or only at work set?

Thanks coach!

starting strength coach development program
    Those are good looking squats, but I suspect you are not low enough. I realize it is much easier and more comfortable for people to film from a standing angle. However, due to the wide angle lenses on phones and the problems of judging depth from standing, I cannot say if you are getting depth. Hip height is where the camera needs to be for these purposes.

For deads, warm up with double overhand and just hook when it starts to peel out. If you feel that you need a little practice to figure out where the bar should sit in the hands with the hook grip, hook your final warmup. However, you still want a little grip work for double overhand strength, so reserve the hook for when you need it, if possible.