starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat: Failure vs. Back-Offs

Default Squat: Failure vs. Back-Offs

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thanks for taking the time to read through this. I'm working through the SSLP for the first time after doing tons of really stupid shit for the last 8 years. I have several questions about programming, training, equipment, etc., but my most pressing question pertains to the squat LP. Is it always better to push the squat LP until failure in order to experience the really difficult reps that proceed failing or is it acceptable to incorporate back-offs before the first failure to extend the LP. Would a different set/rep scheme be better than back-offs to allow for more recovery? I'm familiar with what's written in practical programming and my interpretation was that you go to failure on all the lifts before anything else but the example shown for the former DI athlete on pg. 88 does incorporate back-offs fairly early. Granted, the example is stated to be a conservative approach. If I need to just get my ass back in the garage and keeping working let me know. Feel free to criticize my deviations from the program.

Male
    5'7" - 5'8"
    204-207 (kinda fat, started at kinda fat 177 in mid-May)

Squat: 3 sets x 5 reps: 385lbs (fucked around with high bar up to 3x5 at 300, deloaded to 225 and worked up from there with low bar)
    Bench: 3 x 5: 230 (microloaded 2.5lb increases from 200)
    Press: Deloaded once at 157.5 (microloaded 2.5lb increases from 135), currently 3 x 5: 152.5
    Deadlift: 1x5: 430 (hook grip)
    Power Clean: Deloaded at 200 (felt like my technique was terrible), currently 5 x 3: 185
    Chins: approximately 9, 7, 6 (May-Now)
    Good Mornings: 4 x 8: 135 (started 3 x 8: 100 when high bar squats hit 300, these were my substitution for back extensions (not sure how to do them in my garage, fucking lazy answer but the substitution didn't seem horrible, please let me know if something else would be a better use of my time), I decided to add an additional set to my most recent training session for more back/hip extensor volume (I'm concerned my deadlift will stall if I don't get enough additional back work/hip work, again, please let me know if that's misguided)

Nutrition: not tracked super carefully but I'm still GOMAD as a major calorie source

Sleep: also not tracked carefully but usually greater than 7 hours/ night

I have current videos of the 5 main lifts if that'd be helpful.

Thanks for any and all comments,
    Ben

Add in the mid-week light day on squats before you add back off-sets. The mid-week light day can extend the LP by a good while, whereas the top set + backoffs is just a strategy to squeeze another few workouts out the LP.

Thanks for responding Coach. I was mixed up and was referring to a mid-week light day in my original post but called it a back-off. If I post a video of my latest work set squats would you be able to tell me if you think a light day is appropriate?

OK, as long as you really know the difference as they are two completely different things. And ya, I'll take a look at your squats.

Ok thanks I appreciate it.

This is the 2nd set. I recieved a call during the third set and it stopped the video unfortunately. I would say the 3rd set was similar in bar speed but it's hard to know without video.

9/8 Squat 2/3 - YouTube

Angry metal guy, eh?

These aren't bad. Initiate with simultaneous lean over and knee-bending - currently you're leaning over slightly early before you bend the knee. Also, get tighter and control your descent. Don't let the weight shove you down into the hole several inches too deep. You control the descent, too, not just the ascent. Tighten up and drive your hips up about 3 inches higher than your current depth.

As far as whether to add a light day yet, I'm personally quicker to add a light day than the strict interpretation of The Book. I'd probably add one now or next week, though I believe the strict formula is to fail first.

Haha whatever keeps the weight moving. My descent has been too fast for awhile so I'll get that straightened out. To be clear, I'm not tight enough and descending too fast which is pushing me too deep into the hole? Are you willing to answer more questions about training?

Yes, you are allowing the weight to shove you down, and then you try to get back up. Instead, control the descent the whole way down and YOU choose at what point to reverse direction by aggressively driving your hips up. Of course, you will choose to do so at about 1 inch below parallel, because that is the best place.

This doesn't mean slow by any stretch, it just means you control it, it doesn't control you.

I'll answer more questions, with the understanding that this is a free message board, not an in depth personal programming consultation.

starting strength coach development program
    Ok thanks for the additional information. In that case, no more questions because I want/need to find a coach and I've got way too many things to go over and not pay someone for the time it's going to take to answer them all haha.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast