starting strength gym

Thread: Pushing the LP a bit further

Default Pushing the LP a bit further

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Dear all,

First of all, I would like to thanks for the content (books + channel + message board), it helped me a to understand a lot more about strength training and training in general after lots of years of mainly messing around when I look backwards...

After reading Practical Programing and also listening to the Barbell Logic podcast #10 (The Secrets to Maximizing Linear Progression), I had a question regarding the end of the LP. I would assume that it has been discussed in the past and if yes, I don’t mind a link to the thread but I couldn’t find in on this forum.

It is suggested that in order to keep the LP for a bit longer when stuck on a lift (assuming resting and calories intake are fine), on should go for 5 sets of 3 across for the Bench and the Press and 1 set of 5 for the Squat followed by 2 sets of 5 across with a slightly lighter weight. However, there is also the first question, which is: “am I making too big of a jump?”. As an example, now, my Bench and Press weight jumps are 1 kg and I can decrease it to 0.5 kg if needed. So, let’s say my Press get stuck with 1 kg jumps. At that point, would you:

-keep 3 sets of 5 across with 0.5 kg jumps and slow down the progression. Then go to 5 sets of 3 across with 0.5 kg jumps when stuck again.
    -go to 5 sets of 3 across and keep 1kg jumps. Then go to 0.5 kg jumps when stuck again.

So I guess my question would be, if you would have access to jumps as small as you want, would you always go for smaller jumps or is there a point where you would say “ok, there is no point in doing e.g., a 0.5 kg jump on a Squat, I would rather keep 1 kg jumps and go for 1 set of 5, decrease a bit the weight and then do 2 sets of 5 across.”

If it helps, here are some info on my:
    -31 years old male
    -80 kg body weight
    -Lift status: Deadlift 1x5x145 kg; Squat 3x5x120 kg; Bench; 3x5x93 kg; Press 3x5x51.5 kg; Power clean 5x3x55 kg. (I might have started with a Squat and a Deadlift too low in weight if I compare them to my Bench and the difficulty to complete the sets).
    -Increments: 1 kg for Bench and Press; 2.5 kg for Squat and Deadlift.
    -About 3 minutes of rest between the end of a set and the start of the next one. Around 5 minutes before my last Deadlift warm-up and my Deadlift set.
    -Calorie intake about 3500 kcal with 170 g of protein (trying to increase).

Thanks in advance.

How tall are you? Unless you're on the shorter side, or started your LP very very underweight and have gained a decent amount already, the first thing to look at would be to continue gaining weight. Maybe 4k cals and 200g protein would be better, and instead of "trying to increase," you should, you know, actually increase. Yes, I know this can be hard. So is lifting, but you manage to to make yourself do that. You can do this, too.

That aside: You're asking about micro-micro loading, but it doesn't seem you've read this article in its entirety yet. Specifically the part about rest period. The First Three Questions | Mark Rippetoe

Thanks for the answer. I am 1m80.

I agree about the trying to increase. Maybe my wording was incorrect since I am not native speaker. I meant that I am increasing it.

However, I was asking more for a theory point of view. I will try to rephrase and hope my english is more proper. Assuming everything is done properly and you can micro-load as low as you want, at which point would one want to stop decreasing weight jump and go for 5 sets of 3 for the upper body lifts or similar change for the Squat?

Ah, in pure theory I don't think anyone knows for absolute certain. But practically speaking, for a healthy 6' tall male in his early 30s who is gaining weight appropriately, jumps of less than 5 lbs in the squat and DL probably aren't necessary, whereas 1-2 lbs in the bench and press can be very useful. I don't see anything wrong with 1 lb jumps in the press, especially.

Thanks a lot for your answer.

starting strength coach development program
    No prob. Go forth and gain (weight, strength, and experience under the bar).