starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Check

Default Deadlift Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello coaches, deadlifts from today, they felt much heavier than they look here. I feel that my low back is breaking down when doing them, but when I review the video I don't see much of that.

I've been using a hook grip the past few weeks as my grip is weak, so it's a bit uncomfortable at times.

Male
    5'8" ~171 lb (currently working to gain weight)

Please let me know if you see anything that I need to work on.

Thanks for your time.

Your deadlifts look better than most. You hold your back together quite well. What you feel as you fatigue is your spinal erectors working hard to hold the back flat. You are not flexing in any noticeable way. The main thing I want to see you clean up is your start. You default to a position that is too far forward, with your hips too high. Before every rep, you have to rock back and drop your butt. I would rather see you stay in the middle of your foot so that your back angle does not change when you squeeze your chest up. Fewer things to move. The hook grip hurts. Sorry. There is no way around it. Both the hook and the mixed grips have their pros and cons. Discomfort is one of the downsides of the hook. Lastly, deadlifts feel awful. The whole time. If they felt good, you would want to do them more. Embrace the discomfort. They only feel worse as they get heavier.

I've struggle with this in my own DL, so it's why I'm asking. Are his hips fully extended at the top?

He is not fully extending his knees at the top, which I meant to mention, but managed to forget.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    He is not fully extending his knees at the top, which I meant to mention, but managed to forget.
    Thanks for the feedback Tom.

starting strength coach development program
    You are welcome.