starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check (Part II)

Default Deadlift Form Check (Part II)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I recently started the Bridge program and wanted to film my second week deadlift training session. These are three of my working sets at RPE 8 at 370 lbs. Please provide any advice you may have. The biggest/most immediate issue that I am looking to correct is upper back rounding and starting position. Thanks in advance for your help.

Bro, I only watched the first set, but you are not even attempting to set your back in extension. The weight moves quickly and your positioning isn't too bad, but you are quite turtleish on those deads. Arch your back and hold it flat as you pull the weight off the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Bro, I only watched the first set, but you are not even attempting to set your back in extension. The weight moves quickly and your positioning isn't too bad, but you are quite turtleish on those deads. Arch your back and hold it flat as you pull the weight off the ground.
    Would pointing the toes out help? It seems to help the short handed long trunked I to get my spinal extension right. It's also recommended in the book but probably not the 45 degree I use.

Toes out at 10 or 15 degrees on the deadlift is good, but generally not 45 degrees unless you are naturally very duck-footed. Knees out until they touch the elbows makes some room at the bottom of the deadlift and can help with spinal extension. Toes out a little keeps the femurs in line with the feet. All that is good, but putting the spine into extension requires and effort to put the spine in extension. That is not happening here.

I am a tad duck footed