starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Dear SS Staff Coaches Q&A Forum Moderators,

A link to my latest Squat work set is provided herein. If you could be so kind as to evaluate my Squat technique and make note of any deficiencies, it would be thoroughly appreciated.

In general, these felt good. My two main concerns, after a self review, were my depth and knee travel.

Thank you for providing these reviews. I've already learned a lot from other peoples' videos.

YouTube

Kind Regards,

kylejw

Dear Sir,

I find the formality of your language endearing. Verily, I will provide commentary on your athletic endeavors as requested. Your descent in the squat is needlessly protracted and you would undoubtedly benefit from a more rapid eccentric. This, of course, shall not be allowed to occur at the expense of overall tightness. Perish the thought. Employing slightly higher velocities as you lower the barbell will allow for a stronger stretch reflex which you will find ameliorative with respect to hoisting the bar back to a standing position. I also entreat you in the most earnest terms to cease lifting your chest first and instead initiate the upward motion of the bar through the use of the hips. To borrow a phrase from the vulgar speech of the commoners, "Drive thine ass upwards." Yea, the plebians, while coarse and unrefined, have a certain je ne sais quoi in some of their phraseology that we can use to positive effect when the moment requires it. Lastly, I would respectfully express concern for your safety with regard to your choice of squatting uprights. While admirable for their ingenuity, proper hardware is required when embarking upon a program designed to increase strength through the use of the barbell exercises. I would point you towards our good and right friends at Rogue Fitness who offer a plethora of hardware options at a variety of price points that will decrease your chances of suffering an unfortunate accident and increase your enjoyment while undertaking activities designed to make your physical personage both stronger and more resilient to "the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune," to borrow a turn of phrase from The Immortal Bard. Good day to you, sir. May the sun shine warmly upon you and may your endeavors be both restorative and profitable.

With great respect and consideration, I remain,

Thomas A. Campitelli, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    I would point you towards our good and right friends at Rogue Fitness who offer a plethora of hardware options...
    It is always a treat when I get to post this clip:

This made me realize I don't actually know your middle name, Thomas. I will look in the Harvard Law yearbooks, where I am sure I can find it.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    This made me realize I don't actually know your middle name, Thomas. I will look in the Harvard Law yearbooks, where I am sure I can find it.
    Save your fingers the papercuts, Wolf.
    It's Anastasia.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Dear Sir,

I find the formality of your language endearing. Verily, I will provide commentary on your athletic endeavors as requested. Your descent in the squat is needlessly protracted and you would undoubtedly benefit from a more rapid eccentric. This, of course, shall not be allowed to occur at the expense of overall tightness. Perish the thought. Employing slightly higher velocities as you lower the barbell will allow for a stronger stretch reflex which you will find ameliorative with respect to hoisting the bar back to a standing position. I also entreat you in the most earnest terms to cease lifting your chest first and instead initiate the upward motion of the bar through the use of the hips. To borrow a phrase from the vulgar speech of the commoners, "Drive thine ass upwards." Yea, the plebians, while coarse and unrefined, have a certain je ne sais quoi in some of their phraseology that we can use to positive effect when the moment requires it. Lastly, I would respectfully express concern for your safety with regard to your choice of squatting uprights. While admirable for their ingenuity, proper hardware is required when embarking upon a program designed to increase strength through the use of the barbell exercises. I would point you towards our good and right friends at Rogue Fitness who offer a plethora of hardware options at a variety of price points that will decrease your chances of suffering an unfortunate accident and increase your enjoyment while undertaking activities designed to make your physical personage both stronger and more resilient to "the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune," to borrow a turn of phrase from The Immortal Bard. Good day to you, sir. May the sun shine warmly upon you and may your endeavors be both restorative and profitable.

With great respect and consideration, I remain,

Sir Thomas, Thine have given me much jolliness in this unequivocally circumlocutious response to our brethren in strength, kylejw. I shall hope and pray that he take heed of thine advice in a reformed effort to better himself. It is wont to seek to better oneself and I do believe that your kind words shall rain upon Sir kylejw like a fresh morning dewfall.

Admittedly, this manner of interlocution is the main impetus for my frequent pilgrimages back to the SSC Q&A board. The other is Wolf's use of memes/GIFs.

Good day to all misters and madams.

Greatest. Response. Ever.

This was unusually fun to write, but it took me quite a bit longer than usual.

Perchance if you shall feel so compelled inasmuch as one can to speak of ye olde English, thine words will flow like a waterfall to any and all brethren in strength who are wayward on their strength pilgrimmages, who have traversed the 5/3/1s Forest or perhaps even the Juggernaut Jungle. May their paths be cleared and aided by the sound of thine sweet strokes of the keys, the strokes of doth replying in a manor most befitting of a sage who speaks with accumen.

starting strength coach development program
    There's hope for you yet, Matt. An apprenticeship at the Comrade Campitelli Cottage of Courtesies might be what you need to kick your professional writing career into the highest of gears.