starting strength gym

Thread: Dull Popping at Bottom of Squat.... Normal?

Default Dull Popping at Bottom of Squat.... Normal?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm 6'2" and 210lbs and currently squatting 255lbs x 5 x 3.

Often on my first one or two reps of first work set, sometimes last heavy warm up set, at the bottom there's a loud pop that feels like when you crack your knuckles. It feels more like pelvis/tailbone than hips to me.

I experience no pain and typically feel a bit looser once it happens. Similar to a chiropractic adjustment.

I assume this is just my anatomy being forced into it's proper alignment under weight.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it normal? Is it a sign of something bad coming in the future?

Thanks,

Mark

Joints making noise is pretty common and if there's no pain or associated issues, I don't think there's anything worry about BUT that's usually a knees or ankles thing in the squat. I've never had a lifter describe this in their low back/pelvic area, which would raise my concern a bit more. But I don't really know. Maybe one of our PTs will chime in.

That used to happen to be until I switched to low bar prior to ever doing starting strength, it never hurt but it felt like my si joint grinding or something. I feel like it had to do something with going wayyyyy to deep.
    It no longer happens , but I can kinda pop my si joint now by squeezing my glutes while standing. I don't know if this is relevant just thought I would say something since it used to happen to me as well.

Might sound silly, but...could you replicate it during a hard valsalva and sort of pushing into your lower belly/tailbone region?
    (Not necessarily during lifting)

I had that create a dull pop a few times

I have felt my low back or hip pop on occasion while warming up. Back when I used to stretch my back (long ago before I figured out stretching my back tended to irritate it), I could also get my low back to pop. As Comrade Wolf has observed, provided this is not accompanied by pain, it is unlikely to be problematic.

My knees especially, and hips sometimes, make odd crunching sounds when I squat, but range of motion is good and there's no pain or other symptoms along with it, so I ignore it.

I have been meaning to ask this also. I, too, feel a pop/crunch "deep" in my hip/ass/lowback at the bottom during heavy warmup or working sets. No pain or anything else. Its just weird.

This "popping" only occurs at the very bottom position of the squat.

It never hurts, but is startling when your pelvic area makes an audible popping noise like a full body version of a knuckle crack.

Since there is no soreness, or other problems associated currently, I'll carry on as normal.

If my body ever splits in two, I'll be sure to post.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MDev874 View Post
    If my body ever splits in two, I'll be sure to post.
    This made me chuckle.