starting strength gym

Thread: Squat check for a friend

Default Squat check for a friend

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    She asked me to take a look at her squat and mentioned pain in the upper arm/shoulder area. I had her take a slightly wider grip, and lower her elbows a good bit. She narrowed her stance slightly, but I'm not sure if it's still a hair wide. I notice some movement in the right knee, is it being shoved out a little too far or does it just need to be held out harder? Do you guys notice any other issues?

YouTube

Grip looks okay from here. Elbows could be a touch lower, but there is nothing that jumps out as incorrect. Make sure your friend is not trying to push down on the bar. It looks like her knees are too far forward. I would not narrow her stance further. In fact, a hair wider with toes out a touch might be just right. Her knees look to be too far forward. Hold the knees back some and lean over more.

She's been working on holding the knees back. Elbows seem to creep back up as she gets tired, and there's a little air under the heels. Is "geels

YouTube

Sorry for the double post, I accidentally clicked the post button before. I meant to ask if "heels" was the best cue for correcting her issue and if you see anything else too address. Thank you for your time, once again.

Her elbows don't worry me at this point. She is on her toes a little. She needs to reach back with her butt more and exaggerate the knees out cue. She will lean over more, but it will help to build character. It will also help her squat.