starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Form vs. Increasing Weight

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Will do. Thanks again!

Is there ever a point where you become so familiar with correct squat form that all you have to do is think about getting the bar up? I've been squatting with SS form for a few years now but it never seems like I will be able to go autopilot on any part of the movement so to speak

I think almost everyone, forever, has some things things they need to focus on. We usually limit it to 1-2, during a given rep, that you think of actively. The rest will happen on auto-pilot whether you want it to or not, at sufficiently heavy weights relative to your max. The goal is to get good enough so that auto-pilot is at least a close approximation of the model. Which you do by starting at a weight which you don't have to auto-pilot at yet, learning to do it correctly while you can still think your way through, so by the time it IS at that sufficiently heavy weight, your auto-pilot approximates the model.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 10-04-2017 at 02:37 PM.

Totally makes sense. It seems like the squat is the most difficult lift to get that right with. Do you think that's true?

Just wanted to add that this thread has been extremely helpful.

10/10 sticky worthy

I have a lot of bad habits from years of different types of "strength training" that were easy to carry over into my LP. So while going at it without a coach it has been difficult to know at which point I need to hold back and work on my technique instead of adding. This provides a pretty clear guideline.

Quote Originally Posted by tfranc View Post
    Totally makes sense. It seems like the squat is the most difficult lift to get that right with. Do you think that's true?
    Probably the clean and snatch, if you do them. But of the 4 main slow/strength lifts, yes, the squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Just wanted to add that this thread has been extremely helpful.

10/10 sticky worthy

I have a lot of bad habits from years of different types of "strength training" that were easy to carry over into my LP. So while going at it without a coach it has been difficult to know at which point I need to hold back and work on my technique instead of adding. This provides a pretty clear guideline.
    Tom C, when someone references the sticky: "That's music to my ears!"

Seriously though, glad it was helpful. If only people actually read the sticky...

I wanted to chime in a second the sticky motion. There's some truly solid bits of wisdom here for the anyone new to strength training and doing NLP.

Thanks for taking the time to drop some knowledge.

Wait. Is the forum at large finally learning that I'm a sucker for flattery?

Quote Originally Posted by Wes_J View Post
    I wanted to chime in a second the sticky motion. There's some truly solid bits of wisdom here for the anyone new to strength training and doing NLP.

Thanks for taking the time to drop some knowledge.
    Honestly, I wish I had seen this thread about 4 months into my LP. I had more than a few resets and minor injuries due to ego lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    You are so perceptive and... so strong, so brave, and those guns. would be great to witness your greatness at a seminar in the twin cities but alas..........

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Who isn't?
    Flattery first, sticky reading second. Just wait for it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast