starting strength gym

Thread: Squat critique please

Default Squat critique please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,
    I'm looking for some advice on my squat. I just recently delved into Starting Strength after 2 years of messing around with the powerlifts. I was supposed to hit 315 as the next step in my linear progression today but I hit a single and realized I had to drop back. This is my last set of 265x3x5. Coming off strep throat this weekend and it sucked the life out of me haha.

YouTube

Please let me know if this link doesn't work!

Please read the sticky for how to film form checks. I cannot tell a lot of things from this angle. I can say that you are descending too quickly. Slow down the eccentric so that you are not crashing into the bottom of the squat. It doesn't need to be agonizingly slow, but you are going too fast at present.

YouTube

I'm hoping this is better! That's about the best angle I could get today, last set of 5 at 285. I was trying to slow down and felt like I was doing a good job but it still looks fast, I did feel more solid coming up though.

Thanks Tom!

Rear oblique for squat checks. Not front. Squats from the front are the least useful angle and the most difficult to comment on.

295x5 - YouTube

Sorry, Tom, I'm trying to get decent angles while avoiding getting other folks fully in frame. Hopefully this is better. Once I get back to getting to the gym early in the morning, I will pretty much have the freedom to put my camera anywhere.

Thanks for your patience!

Leave your toes where they are, but move your heels out about a half inch on each side. Lean over more. You are trying to stay too upright. This gets exacerbated at the bottom as you fatigue. You want to be upright and your knees slide forward a little. Embrace the more horizontal torso angle. It builds character and enables you to use your musculature in a way that is pleasing to the gods.

Roger that, I'll work on this and post another video down the road. Thank you for your help, Tom!

starting strength coach development program
    De nada.