starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My deadlift has stopped progressing for some time. How does the form look?

Shared album - Sasa Milosevic - Google Photos

Your stance is too wide, the bar is in front of your midfoot, you are not setting your low back in extension, and this video angle is absolutely terrible. Please read the sticky.

Aside from these form faults, you need to do some other important things. The first is to chalk your hands. Get some magnesium carbonate and bring it with you to the gym. Even if the gym does not allow it, bring it with you and don't make a mess. Bring a nylon brush to clean it off the bar afterwards, too. The second thing to do if your grip starts slipping is to try the hook grip. If that doesn't work, go to a mixed grip with one hand supine. Lastly, and most importantly, you need to make up your mind that the deadlift is going to be hard, but you are not going to let that stand in your way. Besides your form faults and your grip, the reason you are not making progress on the deadlift is that you completely gave up on pull once it got mildly hard. You know what feels good about deadlifts? Nothing. Say it with me, "Nothing." They are unrepentantly difficult. Your fourth rep will be slow. Your fifth rep will be really slow. Get used to this. You force yourself to get stronger. It will not happen without you making it happen. Deadlifts are an act of will. Get to it. Stop giving up early.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Your stance is too wide, the bar is in front of your midfoot, you are not setting your low back in extension, and this video angle is absolutely terrible. Please read the sticky.

Aside from these form faults, you need to do some other important things. The first is to chalk your hands. Get some magnesium carbonate and bring it with you to the gym. Even if the gym does not allow it, bring it with you and don't make a mess. Bring a nylon brush to clean it off the bar afterwards, too. The second thing to do if your grip starts slipping is to try the hook grip. If that doesn't work, go to a mixed grip with one hand supine. Lastly, and most importantly, you need to make up your mind that the deadlift is going to be hard, but you are not going to let that stand in your way. Besides your form faults and your grip, the reason you are not making progress on the deadlift is that you completely gave up on pull once it got mildly hard. You know what feels good about deadlifts? Nothing. Say it with me, "Nothing." They are unrepentantly difficult. Your fourth rep will be slow. Your fifth rep will be really slow. Get used to this. You force yourself to get stronger. It will not happen without you making it happen. Deadlifts are an act of will. Get to it. Stop giving up early.
    Thanks for info. Can you elaborate more on "setting your low back in extension" or where can I find that in the book.
    Well I guess it is hard for me to judge how hard can I push and not get back rounding and increase probability for injury. I just can't estimate that limit.

It is covered in the book in the deadlift chapter as well as the squat chapter. Setting the back in extension is when you try to arch your back. This is the opposite of rounding your low back, or allowing it to go into flexion. You sometimes hear us say "squeeze your chest up," or "point your chest at the wall in front of you," or just "arch your back."

Hey Tom. Just thought I’d drop a note here and say that this is a great post, specifically the last half. I’ve been doing triples at a weak weight and this is a good reminder/kick in the ass to get me to do my fives. Thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by sasamsa View Post
    Well I guess it is hard for me to judge how hard can I push and not get back rounding and increase probability for injury. I just can't estimate that limit.
    Film yourself every single time you do deadlifts (and other lifts). Without the necessary experience it is really hard to be conscious about everything our body does during the movement, be it back rounding (or not when it feels like it), pushing the bar forward with the shins, etc. You can accumulate this experience by watching your lift immediately after execution when the memory is still fresh. Quite often it feels like the lower back is flexing when it really isn't and you know that you can push harder. That has worked for me in any case and I hope the coaches don't mind my butting in with this comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Coalminecanary View Post
    Hey Tom. Just thought I’d drop a note here and say that this is a great post, specifically the last half. I’ve been doing triples at a weak weight and this is a good reminder/kick in the ass to get me to do my fives. Thanks man!
    Glad you liked.

How does this attempt look: Shared album - Sasa Milosevic - Google Photos

Not bad. Your butt is a little too low to start. Note how your back angle becomes more horizontal before the bar comes off the ground. Bring the bar back slightly towards your shins. Leave your hips higher. Work hard to hold your back in extension. Definitely an improvement from last time. Good work.

starting strength coach development program
    Not bad. Your butt is a little too low to start. Note how your back angle becomes more horizontal before the bar comes off the ground. Bring the bar back slightly towards your shins. Leave your hips higher. Work hard to hold your back in extension. Definitely an improvement from last time. Good work.
    Ok, thanks for the feedback

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast