starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intermediate Programming

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Squats at 295. Shoes are adidas powerlift 3. 4 inch 13 mm belt. These squats felt good to me.

YouTube

Deads at 305x5. My own thoughts are that my back is rounding and I am having a hard time getting it set once grabbing the bar.

YouTube

You don't need a 13mm belt, and it's probably hurting your ability to control your back right now, which is pretty much non-existent. I suggest purchasing a 10mm belt, from Pioneer/General Leathercraft or Best Belts, and using that, ASAP.

Squat
    Stance too wide, not deep enough, knees not held out, back and torso not set, still breathing in when you start to descend. None of these things individually is a train wreck and WAY off from where it should be, but collectively they add up to you having a lot of work to do. Start with this:
    1. Narrow your stance about 2-3 inches at the heel, but keep your toe angle about the same.
    2. Before/between each rep: take a big breath, stop to brace your torso, then descend. Bracing is what you'd do if someone was coming to punch you in the stomach and you couldn't block or dodge.
    3. Sit down a couple inches deeper while holding your knees out

Deadlift - you're not setting your back here, at all. It looks like you have no control over it whatsoever, and are completely skipping Step 4 of the DL set-up. You need to squeeze your chest up so your back flattens out, pulling the slack out of the bar while doing so, before each rep.

Watching these two videos may be helpful:

Thanks man. That's a lot of things for me to work on. I wasn't aware of most of these problems. I will post some update videos in a couple weeks when I think my form looks good enough.

About the belt. I have a spare 3 inch 10mm. Will that one work or should I just buy a new one? Also, when do you think someone is ready for a 13mm?

The 3 inch belt will probably be great for deadlifts, but you'll be missing out on some support for SQ and PR. I recommend getting a 4 inch, 10mm belt for those.

When you can benefit from a 13mm belt, you'll have enough experience to know. Suffice it to say that that time is far away.

Alright, ordered a 10mm 4inch pioneer.

That was fast. I think you will be pleased with this decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    The 3 inch belt will probably be great for deadlifts, but you'll be missing out on some support for SQ and PR. I recommend getting a 4 inch, 10mm belt for those.

When you can benefit from a 13mm belt, you'll have enough experience to know. Suffice it to say that that time is far away.
    I'm a novice, if I already have a 13mm belt would it be worth it to get a 10mm?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Ptacek View Post
    I'm a novice, if I already have a 13mm belt would it be worth it to get a 10mm?
    Yes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12