starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat form check, 1st timer

Default Squat form check, 1st timer

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Greetings coaches,

I would be grateful for some additional eyes on this my third set of five from earlier today.

Details: first time form check for squat,
    6'1", 195lbs bw,
    Previously have been up to 3 sets of 5 at 315 but I'm working back up after a 14 day layoff due to a house project and an accidental weight loss of 10lbs. Today was 300lbs.

I'm a little disappointed that these don't look super deep because I recorded the first two sets and was screaming DEEP in my head during the drop, plus they felt deep. Dagnabbit. I see a little good morning happening too?

YouTube

Much obliged I am. Thanks

Yeah, you need to get a little deeper. An inch or two for most of those. I suspect the bar is sitting a little high on your back. It is rolling up on you on most of your reps. Go deeper. Stay tighter at the bottom. Drive your butt up and work to keep the bar right over the mid foot. Get the bar lower on your back. Dropping your elbow a little may help with this. Squeeze the shoulder blades together at the bottom to help keep the bar in place.

Thanks very much. I guess I overcompensated on the bar placement after reading the elbow pain article. Based on the red spots on my back in the locker room, i got about 1 inch lower today.

Here again is my third set from today. Seems like the first two are high but the others are better. Is this something where I have to deload a bit? I was trying to avoid that but will do so if you recommend. After reading so many comments from you re: over extension of lumbar area I was maybe not squeezing hard enough, it seems hard to separate a squeeze up above from the one below.

YouTube

Again many thanks for taking the time.

Those squats look okay for the most part. A few reps have some knee slide. There is a fair amount of wide angle lens distortion, but I would bet you a Coke Zero that you are still above parallel on all those. Take 15 to 20 pounds off the bar and bury those fuckers. A small reset like that won't get in the way much.

Okay, today was light on HLM so I really tried to bury them at 275lbs. Everything felt pretty good, tho the requisite flexibility to get down there took awhile to warm up. Anything else you jump out at you?

Thanks again for your help, coach!

Dose be dee deadlifts.

Blast, I had a feeling I might have done that. Apologies.

YouTube

Your last rep was probably your best. You leaned over more and got deeper. Make all of them look like that. Your squats don't look bad, but you are a wee bit too upright and your knees go a little more forward than I would like. Watch your position on rep 5. That's the ticket. Depth was borderline on most of those. Go an inch deeper.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Tom. After your feedback and watching my vids from this morning, I'm suddenly feeling like I have a lot to work on. I'm going to take a bit more weight off and do some focused work on the Master Cue to try to fix that knee slide, the non-vertical bar path and the back angle. Would you see any problem with adding in some additional sets of fahve for practice if I'm wanting to get this fixed asap? You've been most helpful. I'll check back in next week.
    Feeling impatient,
    Lp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast