starting strength gym

Thread: Press form check

Default Press form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My bench press is at 217.5 for 3 sets of 5 reps on the NLP and Press has gotten stuck twice now at 120. I started with more weight on bench (135 vs 65 for press) because I was not untrained prior to starting the program and I also was coming off of a labral repair (foolishly, during rehab I was told to avoid pressing at all costs and so my upper body was really detrained). I wanna know if I got stuck because of form so here is me hitting 115 for a set of 5.

I'm 20 years old.
    6'2 220 (started program at 195)
    Eating around 215g protein daily and only other activity outside the gym is school and I play basketball w my buddies once a week.

I appreciate any and all feedback!

YouTube

Your press form is pretty good, with the exception of rep five. If you look, you did the "Brent Carter Bounce," or the BCB for short. You pushed the bar up, then let id drop, then pushed it up again. Aside from that, you are doing it correctly. What are the smallest jumps you are making on the press? How much rest are you taking between sets?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Your press form is pretty good, with the exception of rep five. If you look, you did the "Brent Carter Bounce," or the BCB for short. You pushed the bar up, then let id drop, then pushed it up again. Aside from that, you are doing it correctly. What are the smallest jumps you are making on the press? How much rest are you taking between sets?
    Thanks for your response Tom. I see what you mean by the BCB lol. I was taking 5lb jumps until 110 lbs when I started to take 2.5 lb jumps. Conversely, I started taking 2.5 lb jumps on the bench around 200. Should I lower the weight to around 100 and take 2.5 lb jumps from there (I stalled pretty quickly after switching to 2.5 lb jumps)? Or switch to intermediate programming for the press; I am open to the possibility that maybe I just suck at pressing as my bench is not showing signs of slowing down.

Try going up by a pound and see if that doesn't work for a while longer. Since you are coming back from surgery, you might benefit from one more reset, too. If smaller jumps on the press don't work and you stalled in the same place as last time, it is probably time for an intermediate approach to your presses.

Also, how long do you rest between sets?

Also, how long do you rest between sets?
    Sorry for not answering that during the last reply; I rest around 5 minutes during my work sets. I'll try another reset and see how it goes.

Try one pound jumps first. Rest another minute.

starting strength coach development program
    Try one pound jumps first. Rest another minute.
    I will! Thanks again.