starting strength gym

Thread: Squat grip check

Default Squat grip check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I developed a bit of elbow tendonitis recently, is there anything in my squat grip that you see that could be the cause of this?

Thank you for your time.

YouTube

I suspect your grip is too narrow and that you are pushing down on the bar as you ascend. You can see your elbows dancing quite a bit as you work hard on the way up. Widen your grip and take your arms out of the lift. Don't try and bend the bar around your back. Support the weight on your shoulders. See if that helps.

Also, I suspect you need to get deeper in your squats. Narrow your stance slightly. Drive your knees out more. Profit.

Thank you sir, I did move my feet in and will widen my grip.

Thanks for your last response.

I did my last two squat sessions with a wider grip, first finger on the ring (pinkie was on the ring before), and it's still painful. I'm working on supporting the weight on my shoulders. I couldn't do chins either, so I did some light pulldowns which kind of helped. Enough that I do not feel confident bench pressing. Should I go wider, stick with it and wait a few more sessions?

Keep playing with grip width. Wrap your thumbs around the bar if that doesn't work.