starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat Form Check 09.10.17 150

Default Squat Form Check 09.10.17 150

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello Starting Strength coaches. This is my first form check video and I would greatly appreciate your feedback. I'm most concerned about depth as I noticed that was a problem during my lifts the day before, mainly due to having my stance too narrow. You'll notice that I take a bit longer to set up my stance and double check the width before beginning the squat, and yet the first rep is still a little bit too high (at least to me). Also, I edited out the audio on this for two reasons: the music in the gym that I workout was awful and far too loud at the time, and the person I had recording the video for me talked a bit too much during the lift. I'm a Wisconsinite currently living in Amman, Jordan and I have to make do with the local gym near my apartment. It's not an ideal setting, but it has the equipment I need so it works well enough.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=Aecqs3RxlM4

Link doesn't work.

I took the liberty to fix the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Link doesn't work.

I believe I fixed it. My apologies for the inconvenience.

He must have been in edit mode or something. based on video ID tag at the end, i think it is this one:

YouTube

MisterT and Xtanuki, I am impressed with your altruism here.

OP - yes, your first rep is high, and the next four are in that slightly high/borderline range - they look roughly TO parallel or just above, but definitely not below. I wouldn't give any of the five reps white lights at a meet, so depth is definitely a priority. However, the good news is that you're not half squatting and so don't need to take half the weight off the bar to relearn the whole thing. You just need to make yourself go about 2 inches deeper and you'll be fine.

It also looks like you're raising your elbows up high and rounding your upper back. Keep your upper back tight and flat, and only lift your elbows up just enough to create a shelf that prevents the bar from rolling down. Don't raise them up more, or lift them during the reps themselves.

I suspect that fixing the latter, will also help with depth and leaning over more.

It is purely selfish. How else can I learn what is wrong and fix it for myself?

Indeed. Adam Smith, still teaching us simple lessons, nearly 250 years later.

OP - yes, your first rep is high, and the next four are in that slightly high/borderline range - they look roughly TO parallel or just above, but definitely not below. I wouldn't give any of the five reps white lights at a meet, so depth is definitely a priority. However, the good news is that you're not half squatting and so don't need to take half the weight off the bar to relearn the whole thing. You just need to make yourself go about 2 inches deeper and you'll be fine.

It also looks like you're raising your elbows up high and rounding your upper back. Keep your upper back tight and flat, and only lift your elbows up just enough to create a shelf that prevents the bar from rolling down. Don't raise them up more, or lift them during the reps themselves.

I suspect that fixing the latter, will also help with depth and leaning over more.
    Updated squat video from today.

I went for 152.5 kilos after the original post and got stuck on the 4th rep on the 2nd set, so I decided to do a 10 kilo backoff and work my way back up while fixing my form. I tried to keep in mind your recommendations and could feel how much more efficient the force transfer was during this lift, however I still think I might be rounding out a bit too much and perhaps a bit too high. I was exhausted by the time I got to this set because I did not sleep well at all the night before and was having trouble focusing.

On another note, last week I was experiencing debilitating pain in my elbows from the squat, so I went through several threads and watched videos from Rip, Coach Delgadillo, and Coach Horn. I realized that I wasn't keeping my back tight enough and that my wrists were bending too much, so I made those my top priority for this video. As it turns out, it worked like a charm, and I didn't have any more elbow pain.

starting strength coach development program
    To be honest, I don't see any significant improvements between this and your last posted set. Upper back is definitely still rounded; elbows still tend to raise up a bit as you squat, which exacerbates upper back rounding; and depth is still slightly high.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast