starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form and Back Strain

Default Deadlift Form and Back Strain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm a newbie to lifting and trying to self teach myself the proper lift forms. Long story short, I have strained my back attempting to follow the 5 step deadlift procedure and can't figure out where I'm messing up. I strained my back about a month ago pulling deadlifts and gave it a couple weeks of rest. Came back at a lower weight hoping to work my way back up and tweaked it again. Very frustrated. Where am I messing up? Guys at the gym tell me I need to put more weight on my heals and pull from the heals. That's not what the book says. Can someone point out my flaws and give some guidance?

Here's a link to the video: YouTube

Any help is much appreciated. Also, if anyone has any tips for getting over back strain, that would be great too. It sucks walking around with pain.

Three related things.

1. You're starting with the bar slightly behind midfoot. Get a little more separation between bar and shins before you take your grip.

2. More squeeze. Probably at least partially due to #1, you're not squeezing up all the way. It will be easier to do with your knees slightly more bent, as they will be when you start with the more a bit more forward. Use that additional knee bend to really squeeze up till your back is rigid and flat. Your shoulders will be a little higher relative to your hips after you squeeze, than they are here.

3. With the bar over midfoot and your knees a little more bent at the initiation of the pull, you'll be able to properly initiate with knee extension, instead of back extension. Think about pushing the floor away with your feet, while keeping your shoulders out over the bar. Don't try to make your torso vertical right away. Drag the bar up by initiating primarily with knee extension.

Thanks for the advise! It always felt like I was too close to the bar, but knew it wasn't suppose to feel comfortable. I've tried what you explained and I can tell a little difference, but not really sure if I'm executing properly as my back is still really finicky and sore. I've posted another video if your interested in looking at it and giving feedback. It would be much appreciated.

October 15, 2017 Deadlift Form Form Change - YouTube

As far as my back strain or whatever it is, I think I'm going to have to stop deadlifting for an extended time. I've tried to do some light Deadlift work in an attempt to work the tightness and soreness out, but that isn't working at all. Just doing the few reps you see in the video above, I couldn't get out of bed the next morning. I may try just squatting and give the deadlift a break. If that don't work, I guess it's off to the Doctor.

You got your knees more bent, but overdid it a bit and started out with the bar now a bit forward of midfoot. Do the set-up that we clarify in our DL set-up instructions, in the book and easily google-able online: Start with the bar 1 inch from your shins - when your knees are locked out and you're standing straight up, not when you're leaning back to see where the bar is and you recline your shins backwards. Then take your grip without moving the bar, and then bend your knees till your shins touch - but do not move - the bar. After that, make sure your own weight is on midfoot, not back on your heels or (more likely) forward on your toes. You'll be in the right position.

You still also need to get that squeeze-up going. You've got some movement in your upper back but your lower back isn't getting tight. Watch the low back position control vids and see if you can apply that movement control to your low back when DLing.