starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift check - rounded back

Default Deadlift check - rounded back

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,
    I failed my deadlift workset during today's workout, only made it to three reps @ 162.5kg (358lbs). I've been doing the SSLP since March and have progressed from an 80kg deadlift at the beginning. My wife videoed my lift today, I should have done this sooner to check my form. I've been told in the past that I have quite a rounded upper back, but watching the video back I can really see that my upper back resembles an impressive geological antiform.

I do make an effort to try to extend my lower back, squeeze my lats and push my chest through, but I don't know if I'm able to flatten my upper back. Does this look like something I should be concerned about? Could you give me some suggestions as to what I can do, and are there any other glaring issues with my deadlift?

Vitals: Male, 37yrs, 92kgs (203lbs)

Many thanks for your help and for providing this excellent resource!

Shared album - Will Davies - Google Photos

You, my geological friend, do a fine job of keeping your low back in extension. You have a pronounced kyphosis, however. I have two pieces of good news for you. 1 – you are not going to really be able to change that. 2 – it is an advantage on the deadlift. Your bigger problem is that you are not following the steps for the deadlift. Stop banging your shins into the bar immediately before you pull. Shins touch the bar. Knees go out. Arch the low back. Big breath. Drag the bar up the legs. You are doing the following: bring the shins to the bar, pray for a miracle, stand up. Also, you didn't really fail that lift. You just didn't really go after it. Do the steps. One at a time. Stop rushing. Embrace your kyphosis. Anticlines for the win.

Many thanks Tom. That's good news that the rounding/kyphosis isn't too much to worry about and that I'm managing to keep my low back in extension. Can I ask why it's an advantage in the deadlift?

I see what you mean about the shin banging! I'm going to work on the steps next time I'm at the gym. It's very revealing to see yourself in these videos, I wish I'd have done it sooner. I got a video of myself doing squats a couple of days ago and can immediately see that I'm not hitting the correct depth and that my torso is pretty upright. I'll make another thread and ask for some advice on that, unless it's better to just add it to this thread?

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Cambrian View Post
    Can I ask why it's an advantage in the deadlift?
    It is a secret.

Just kidding. Rounding the upper back shortens the segment length of the back. Less moment force to overcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Cambrian View Post
    I'll make another thread and ask for some advice on that, unless it's better to just add it to this thread?
    New thread, although give it some time. There is quite a backlog to chop through at the moment.