starting strength gym

Thread: First 3 questions

Default First 3 questions

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So I know that if I fail in the middle of my NLP it comes down to what I'm eating, how much I'm sleeping, and rest between sets. But I had a question about these variables.

Optimally, I would be able to fulfill all of these variables independently. If however, my schedule is such that it becomes hard to be faithful to all of these things, is it possible to compensate one with the other?

For instance, if I know eight hours of sleep isn't going to happen, could I wait extra time between sets and have an especially large dinner the night before/breakfast the day of? I know this sounds a bit like planning for failure, but I gather there is probably a systematic way of compensating for lack of optimal recovery in one area without compromising on the weight of the worksets. So say I had only 5 hours realistically to sleep for various reasons a couple nights a week, assuming that can't be changed, what would you say to someone to make it more likely for them to MAKE the bar go up? I assume the compensation would be in the other two variables, and not necessarily the programming for a novice.

I think that can work to a certain extent, but only if the other two were not yet being optimized. i.e. at a given weight for a given man at his current stage of advancement, 5000 calories will be no better than 4500, and 14 minutes rest won't be better than 10. And 30 mins rest might even be worse, as might 7500 calories.

So if you were shaving bits of rest off, or not being good about getting enough to eat, then being properly attentive to those things now would help. If they were already optimized or as close to it as we can approximate, then more isn't better. You just do the best you can.

Thank you. Do you think being a bit more intentional with my carb intake peri workout might help most?

<shrug emoji>

I don't know. If you're at the tail end of the LP and your workouts are now very hard and long (TWSS), then maybe. Otherwise I doubt it. Dr. Justin Fervenbraun might know more about that.