starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squat form Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    YouTube
    Here is my last DL at 110kgx5

You don't get your back fully set on the DL, either, and this despite you having the bar forward of midfoot with low hips - an easier position in which to set the back.

Regarding your back issue, it seems like you don't have the level of control of it necessary to keep it in extension under load. We haven't yet figured out a really good way to coach this remotely for people who don't get it. For your DL, start with this post. Read it through twice: Deadlift: Perfect Every Time.

Then watch this video through twice. Then implement on your next DL day. If you can learn to squeeze it up all the way for the DL, it may positively affect your squat as well.

Thanks for taking the time to answer, really appreciate it!

I saw it myself when filming, I'm not fully extending eventhough I think I am.
    When you said that I probably didn't know how to control my lumbar spine I was a bit concerned because I spend many time with patients explaining and showing what an anterior/neutral/posterior pelvic tilt is.
    I can do it standing and during the bird dog exercise but it turns out I'm just not able to do it with the amount of hip flexion required in the squat and deadlift, that's why I prefer to show them a video from the Starting Strength App for the Squat and Deadlift (what a shame..)

I'll go back to work on that after reading what you linked and Alan's video.

I hope my next video will bring some improvement.

It's a pretty common issue, and unfortunately one for which we haven't yet figured out a slam dunk remote cue, even though we are usually very good at coaching and fixing it in person, even for those with no previous low back awareness.

"4. Hard part: squeeze your chest up as hard as you can. DO NOT MOVE THE BAR. This establishes a "wave" of extension that goes all the way down to the lumbar, and sets the back angle from the top down. DO NOT LOWER YOUR HIPS – LIFT THE CHEST TO SET THE BACK ANGLE."

Another thing I often see is the suggestion to point your butt backwards. In other words tilt, the pelvis to place the back in harder extension. For example, YouTube I wonder if this should be added to the five step instruction.

Also, in many video, the lifter will get into position, then rock forward and backwards a few times (shins forward and back). Random example, YouTube What is this intended to accomplish?

Ya, we have used the cue "present your butthole to the wall behind you," sometimes adding "while presenting your nipples to the wall in front of you." It often works. It also leaves the person baffled and bewildered, wondering what kind of sordid service they're receiving after asking for help with barbell technique. Like many things, it's something that works better in person, when both tone of voice can be read as well as the cue itself explained and expanded upon, as well as reinforced by visual or tactile additions.

I didn't say we throw up our hands hopeless, just that we haven't yet found a slam dunk cue or progression for getting someone who has no idea how to set their backs, into good extension, without being there in person. We often do it. Just at a lower rate than we'd like, and in person we can fix it basically every time.

starting strength coach development program
    This has been a constant struggle for me also. I can't for the life of me seem to prevent loss of extension at the bottom of the squat unless I use a dangerously wide stance, and I have no probs with the deadlift (until it gets too heavy for my lumbar to handle).

I definitely appreciate that for many it's a motor control issue, but do you also occasionally run into clients who are just not anatomically capable of maintaining decent extension at full squat depth? (And I don't mean to suggest that just because you do, it means that me and the OP belong to this category).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12