starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check 190x5

Default Squat form check 190x5

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello, I was hoping to get someone to check my squat technique. I am a 25 year old female and I weigh 135lbs. I am relatively new to the starting strength method and I have just started the novice LP after spending a number of years in crossfit.

Thank you for your help!

Instagram

Strong squats. Stance could be wide, but as I have said in a few recent form checks, I would not swear to that. Your knees look to be dancing around a bit, however. Keep them pushed out, especially on the way up. In the middle of your ascent, you lift your chest and your knees come forward. Stay with your hips all the way to the top.

Hi Tom, thank you so much for your feedback! I dialed back the weight to 155 so that I could focus on making the corrections that you suggested. I narrowed my stance a bit and did my best to stay in my hips, however I can see that I still lift my chest a bit on the 5th rep. Please, let me know what else I should be focusing on to improve my technique.

Thanks again!

Instagram

Not bad. Your stance may be too narrow now. I cannot say this far to the side, however. I am allowing myself some wiggle room on that either way. You want your stance to be approximately shoulder width. Too wide a stance results in various problems, one of which is it is difficult to keep your knees out. Your knees look to be pretty good from a staying-out perspective. Two things to work on here: Don't let your knees go quite so far forward. Don't go quite so deep. Also, if you can, post a picture directly from the back so I can determine stance width. You can be standing all the way up.

Hey Tom, thanks so much for all your help... here is another video from today's squat session. Knees are probably still a bit too far forward, but I think things are starting to clean up a little bit. I am also posting a picture so you can check my stance width.

Thanks again!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BbP7ymIl...ecca.skinner92

rebecca stance .jpg

starting strength coach development program
    Your squats look pretty good. You are correct that your knees are still going too far forward. Think of trying to squat with a vertical shin. This won't actually happen, but hold your knees back more. You want them in place by about halfway down. Stance width could be a hair wider. Half inch or an inch. The weight looked light. Good job not going too deep, too. Nicely done overall.