starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home made power rack question

Default Home made power rack question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Dear Coaches,

I'm trying to get a home power rack fabricated and am looking at the cheapest option that's feasible. I need your help in figuring out the details.

1) What is the grade of the steel used in the SS power rack?

2) I know this has been discussed partly but what is your opinion about half-racks and 3/4 racks?
    Especially the Rogue SML-1 sml-1-squat-stand-lg.jpg and the Titan 3/4 rack 400004_1024x1024.jpg ?

It's not difficult to figure the dimensions (most are listed on the product page and rest can be figured out).

3) Is westside hole spacing terribly useful or is it just a good to have feature?

1. I have no idea, but maybe someone else does.

2. I like full racks when possible for their versatility (rack pulls if you don't have blocks, ability to do something like on the outside between sets of doing a barbell lift on the inside). But half and 3/4 racks can certainly be used for heavy training, if they're quality and durability is good. I have a Rogue S1 (not even monster lite). My mom uses it now, but I used to have it in my apartment and had someone over who missed a rep at 390 and the spotter arms caught it fine and the thing didn't tip over at all.

3. It's a good feature but definitely not necessary.

The c-channel used for SS racks is C4 x 5.4.

The 5.4 is lbs/ft and is the thinner variety of structural steelin this application. You can get thicker materials at 6.25 and 7.5 but the specs call for 5.4. It's also the most commonly available to retail consumers.

Having one fabricated isn't going to be your cheapest option available. I built my own according to the blueprints using scrap steal I found at a third of the cost of new steel. My total project cost was about $100 over a Titan half rack, and my labor was free. The bolts used for the j hooks are quite expensive.

Regarding the steel grade for the Channel starting strength rack, A36 would be fine. But if A572 Grade 50, A529 Grade 50 or A992 steel is available for not much more nominal cost, they would be stronger. I'm sure Rip's racks from years ago were made from A36 as the other grades are only now becoming more common.

The steel is generally referred to as "structural steel". You could be more proper by specifying ASTM A500. I would suggest that you buy the safeties.

This thread brings home how little I know about this subject. I have no basis upon which to evaluate any of the three replies.

Technically, the other two replies are more correct than mine in regards to the grade of steel. I made an assumption that the OP was more or less wanting to know what the material is generally referred as.

A36 is standard for structural steel.

But if you went to this site and wanted to know what to order - ASTM A36 Hot Rolled Steel C Channel | A36 Steel Channel | Buy Online | Cut to Size | No Minimum Order

You would order C4 x 5.4

Quote Originally Posted by Giri View Post
    Dear Coaches,

I'm trying to get a home power rack fabricated and am looking at the cheapest option that's feasible. I need your help in figuring out the details.

1) What is the grade of the steel used in the SS power rack?

2) I know this has been discussed partly but what is your opinion about half-racks and 3/4 racks?
    Especially the Rogue SML-1 sml-1-squat-stand-lg.jpg and the Titan 3/4 rack 400004_1024x1024.jpg ?

It's not difficult to figure the dimensions (most are listed on the product page and rest can be figured out).

3) Is westside hole spacing terribly useful or is it just a good to have feature?
    Unless the welding is free, the Titan racks are going to be your cheapest option (assuming u.s. delivery).

starting strength coach development program
    The steel (11 gauge) is not the expense. You can pick up 2x2 or 2x3 11 ga steel at wholesale suppliers rather reasonable. The cost is J-hooks, getting the spacing holes drilled out (time and several bits) or having it laser cut ($$$), getting someone to weld it all together, making the support brackets and so on.

Titan is a direct knock off of anything Rogue makes, but the quality is not very good from what I hear. Hard to beat a Rogue R3 or even a squat stand. Save your pennies and buy one some day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast