starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,
    Looking for some feedback on my squat. If the angle of the video is no good let me know (rack blocks left knee, but camera at a 45.) This is my last set of 395.

My self assessment:
    rep 1: heal lift - I feel like I'm sitting back too much, but the lifting of the heal says I'm not over mid foot. Missed depth by 2 inches
    rep 2: knees slide forward on the bottom, also missed depth
    rep 3: knee slide
    rep 4: knee's all over the place, heel(s) off the ground, this one was bad.
    rep 5: again with the knees.
    Overall, and maybe it's just the video, but my stance seem narrow. Also, need to slow my decent down.

I worked up to 425 previously, and I felt good, but was forced to take a break. After starting back lifting things haven't felt right and I've had some injuries. I have a body weight of 280, and was thinking that was preventing me from getting depth, and maybe it is, but rep 3 isn't all that bad (maybe you all see differently, hence the post.) Thanks in advance!

395 for five is not light. In general, you need a slightly wider stance and to lean over more. You need to reach back with your butt to keep the bar over the midfoot. Doing all of this will also help with depth, which is lacking on most of your reps. At the bottom, redouble your squeeze and drive your butt up.

Thanks Tom. I appreciate your time in reviewing this and the feedback provided.

Is it common to have bad form days? I seem to go through stretches of time where my form is not great (this video for example), but other days it feels/looks pretty good.

I've been moving up since posting this, 405 was similar, 415 was really good, 420 was really good, 425 was back to what you see here... I'm missing consistency. It just occurred to me that I'm probably focusing more on "if I can lift this" than setup and form.

Anyways, thanks again for your feedback.

-Jeremy

Usually if you understand how to move it will not be wildly variable from day to day. There are exceptions, of course. As things get heavier, you may need to be more mindful of what you are doing, or if the weight is crushing you and you cannot hold together, you may not be ready for it yet. I would not take 10 pound jumps above 400 lbs unless you desire problems.

Thank you Coach Tom, for both your time and knowledge!