starting strength gym

Thread: squat issue. bar position or no thoracic extension

Default squat issue. bar position or no thoracic extension

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi all, hoping for a little feedback on my squat. Starting my 12th week of LP tonight, this is a set from last Friday. I'll say at this point these sets feel extremely difficult for me. I'm having a recurring issue of the bar rolling up at the bottom and not sure if bar placement is too high (looks like it) or just not staying tight enough in my upper back (probably this too). I just re-read the article on thoracic extension, and watched Rip's video on bar position but honestly need another perspective. I can see how my head is angled maybe too far down. I've been trying to creep my hands in closer as well.

I'm not sure if you can see if the bar placement is adequate from the camera angle. I haven't specifically tried to move it lower yet as the bar rolling issue really struck me last week. After reviewing videos, it seems I've been doing it for a while now. I was going to hit 290# tonight but think it wise to get this sorted out first maybe? I'm also a little concerned about depth, am I good there? Hopefully this video link works...

Shared album - Dave Scarpitti - Google Photos

As a courtesy, next time you post a video cut off the first part where nothing is happening. For example, you should trim the first 15 seconds off this video.

You never really get your upper back/chest up. You start rounded and then stay that way. This makes it near-impossible to lean over without the bar rolling up. I can't tell for certain from here whether the bar starts in the right place, but regardless, you've gotta get your chest up and locked that way before you unrack the bar. Think "superman chest" and like you're trying to lift your chest into your chin. Then keep your neck in place, don't stick it out, and gaze stays DOWN the whole rep.

Additionally, you're dropping fairly uncontrolled into the bottom. Control your descent - not slow, just YOU in control the whole time - and drive up from there. Your depth is OK, just get there in a more controlled manner and that should also clean up a couple other things.

I would add that those look like some really great shoes.....for playing tennis. You should really invest in some weightlifting shoes.

Disclaimer- I am not an SSC.

Quote Originally Posted by JLB105 View Post
    I would add that those look like some really great shoes.....for playing tennis. You should really invest in some weightlifting shoes.

Disclaimer- I am not an SSC.
    Haha, yes, this too. Forgot to mention the shoes. Get lifting shoes ASAP. You won't regret it.

thanks for the feedback. I wasn't sure if this got lost in the interwebz. Funny enough after this session I bought a pair of wl shoes and it was a world of difference. I'll work on keeping my chest up. I ended up failing a rep on 290 last monday, having a mental breakdown, then getting 3 sets of 5 at 290 on friday. This past monday missed a rep at 295. I'll go back and work on the upper back and see if I can get a few more lbs to my LP. thanks again. more to come

starting strength coach development program
    Funny how lifting can get into our heads. If you stall out and need to do a re-set, that is an EXCELLENT time to work on cleaning this up and really correcting it. Note: I am not saying don't try to do so immediately - you certainly should. But a re-set is a great time to really dial in on form perfection when you're not lifting a crushing weight.