starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat Critique

Default Squat Critique

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I didnt realize I could post here; Ive posted in the technique forum and received some awesome feedback, and here is where I am with it all. I have been working on keeping my back rigid, keeping my elbows in place, my head from moving around, and depth. Thanks for any critiques!

YouTube

You do wiggle your spine a bit, and definitely need to keep it rigid. Big breath and brace, then initiate descent with a simultaneous lean over and knee bend, instead of bending your knees first, as you do here. Don't fight the lean over, which will happen anyway. That lean over needs to ONLY happen from the waist, with no wiggling and jiggling within the spine itself. Go an inch or two deeper before driving back up.

Thanks for the advice, huge fan btw. Just to recap, I’m not leaned over enough, spine isn’t staying in flexion, and I need to go deeper. About the leaning over, in my minds eye the bar will have to go lower than I currently have it placed and I’d have to widen my stance slightly, is my thinking on the right path with this? Thanks again for the response!

Also, Most of my height is in my torso, and reading through the book it makes mention of anthropometry differences can cause different yet correct bottom positions- don’t know how much that helps here, but there it is anyways.

You didn't read carefully. I didn't say you weren't leaned over enough. You probably aren't, but only by a little bit. The issue is you fight leaning over and bend your knees first, and then leaning over at the bottom of the movement isn't good for anyone, and also is leading to some spine wiggliness here.

And the spine isn't supposed to be in flexion, what's this about "staying in flexion?" Do you mean extension? Cause that's what you need, rigid extension, not flexion.

I don't think the bar needs to go lower, though it's hard to say for certain about bare placement from this vid, but it looks OK. Lifting shoes would be extremely helpful.

Alright, the guidance is greatly appreciated. And I did mean extension- this will all be put into practice. Thanks for your time!

OK, glad we clarified that, cause we definitely don't want spinal flexion. Just make sure to read carefully.

Here’s my last set from Monday night, I narrowed my stance and that felt like I hit depth. I worked on keeping my back in extension, from my eye it looks better. I’d like to hear what you have to say. I took a video today but I didn’t have my stance narrowed so depth was spotty at best, so I’m not gonna post it.

YouTube

The video starts at 37 seconds.

starting strength coach development program
    Also, would it be alright to resume my LP?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast