starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is volume better right now?

Default Is volume better right now?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I injured my intercostals and right now just about every lift hurts, but the press and the squat with a belt on are the worst. I took a week off and started training again today, and like I said, it was painful....and slow. If I have to train without a belt for a bit, which means lower weights, is it better to increase volume, say 4 sets rather than 3 to increase tonnage? Or should I just do what I can until mostly healed?

I clearly ascertain from the excellent and thorough context and background info you provided, that you're a 73 year old female Novice currently squatting 43.5 for a couple of top triples. And you're wondering if maybe, while this heals, you should instead do sets of 35x8. Sure, go for it.

Yes, I apologize for not reading the sticky before I posted. Such is the story of my life. I'm 37, so maybe you're dyslexic (haha), or maybe you have large fingers not suitable for typing, and I have been doing SSLP since the beginning of September. I hurt myself squatting a PR of 245lbs. I took a week off, maybe foolishly, and got back to it with a back off of 10%, but since I can't squat with a belt, even 220 is tough to get. So should I do what I can without a belt, which is submaximal, for higher reps or sets?
    37yrs old
    6'1"
    188lbs
    Novice

I've done it again, and am very sorry. Further details are:
    Press: 90lbs. Failed at 105, deloaded by 10% plus layoff time.
    Bench: 125 with current deload
    Deadlift: High of 265, but deloaded to 240.
    Squat: High of 245, but only squatted 195 on Monday after layoff.

All joking aside, I heard the Barbell Logic podcast with you on it and you sound like a good guy, most likely the reason you have such a demand for business. Being only 40mi from you it's not out of this world to think I could, at some point, be a client. However, after this exchange, I hardly think I've hit a cool enough status to have Coach Reynolds assign me to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Proudestmonkeyt View Post
    ...maybe you have large fingers not suitable for typing
    I always thought my hands looked a little funny. Thank you for diagnosing the problem!

It probably doesn't make a heck of a lot of difference at this point in your training. If it makes you feel better to do an extra set, or to do sets of 8 instead of 5 with the lower weight you can currently use without pain, sure, go ahead. But I really don't think it'll make any significant difference. Allowing yourself to heal so you can resume your LP will be the biggest difference maker, so don't overdo it now when you're sub-max anyway.

Lol, thanks for having a good sense of humor. I can't go weeks without training, which is what this kind of injury seems to take (6-8wks) according to the doctor I saw. So I guess I will do what I can at lower weights and try not to aggravate the area, which is tough, because even doing the valsalva leaves me sore. I just feel like it'll drive me nuts to sit it out and see all that progress pissed away, so I gotta do something. I get it though. I saw Jayson Ball's reset after he had a bout with Lyme's disease. I'll always have the chance to work back up to my last PR.

I am having intercostal issues as well. Problem started doing squats earlier this year at 250, belt was a bit high & pushed ribs up and out of place when I hit the bottom. Mentioned it to the doc and he said "oh." No excuses to stop squatting, but said take advil for the pain and avoid OHP. I keep re-aggravating it when trying to do the hip bounce with press, so am working on a strict press. Also, I found laying on my side aggravates it.

For you, I suggest just making sure you aren't wearing your belt too high in your squats. Not sure what else to suggest based on my bit of experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Proudestmonkeyt View Post
    Lol, thanks for having a good sense of humor. I can't go weeks without training, which is what this kind of injury seems to take (6-8wks) according to the doctor I saw. So I guess I will do what I can at lower weights and try not to aggravate the area, which is tough, because even doing the valsalva leaves me sore. I just feel like it'll drive me nuts to sit it out and see all that progress pissed away, so I gotta do something. I get it though. I saw Jayson Ball's reset after he had a bout with Lyme's disease. I'll always have the chance to work back up to my last PR.
    Ya, it sounds like you really do need to just rest it, if even doing a simple valsalva leaves you sore. I've had multiple layoffs due to injury and surgery, with even more reduced activity than you'd have by simple cessation of training, and then worked back up. It's fine - don't prolong the period in which you can't train heavy, by training light with weights that aren't causing an adaptation, instead of healing.

Quote Originally Posted by XTanuki View Post
    I am having intercostal issues as well. Problem started doing squats earlier this year at 250, belt was a bit high & pushed ribs up and out of place when I hit the bottom. Mentioned it to the doc and he said "oh." No excuses to stop squatting, but said take advil for the pain and avoid OHP. I keep re-aggravating it when trying to do the hip bounce with press, so am working on a strict press. Also, I found laying on my side aggravates it.

For you, I suggest just making sure you aren't wearing your belt too high in your squats. Not sure what else to suggest based on my bit of experience.
    Yes, ruling out the belt as an agitator is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by XTanuki View Post

It seems you and I are in the same situation, so thanks for the insights into your problems. My issues started with a four day fight to squat 245 15 times, which I eventually did. I hurt myself on the third try on one of my last reps, presumably because I took too deep a breath, held it for too long before descending, and possibly either going too deep, or losing tightness and folding at the bottom. I have a 4in belt that I've used since the early 200's all the way up to 245, and in all those reps and weeks I never felt run pain. Bruising and chafing, yes, but no pain, so I hesitate to blame the belt or the height at which I wear it, although, hey, I could have put it on just a little wrong on the set that hurt me, I don't know. But being open minded as I am, I have wondered about getting a 3in belt.

As for my press, well, it feels like my sides are going to split open about halfway up the actual press motion. Benching is killer just laying down. The bar got just about to my chest and it felt like the muscles in my left side were tearing. I tried deadlifting and on my third rep of 135 I bent over, took a deep breath, and something hit me in left side that ended the session. Sleeping last night was horrible. I couldn't roll over and simply laying back made my eyes water. It's pissing me off.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Ya, it sounds like you really do need to just rest it, if even doing a simple valsalva leaves you sore. I've had multiple layoffs due to injury and surgery, with even more reduced activity than you'd have by simple cessation of training, and then worked back up. It's fine - don't prolong the period in which you can't train heavy, by training light with weights that aren't causing an adaptation, instead of healing.
    Yeah, I heard in Barbell Logic about your joints hurting after getting sick and having to sit out a week or so, and all the other injuries and surgeries you've had to deal with. You even get a special pass from Dr. Baraki. In any event, I tried training last night and it was a mess. I squatted 200lbs just fine, but I think all the tightening up and breath holding made me sore and primed me to fail the rest of the session. Just laying down on the bench hurt like hell, and I could only get the bar down about halfway before my left side would feel like it was tearing, so I stopped after a few reps of 65lbs. I then tried to deadlift, but on the third rep of 135lbs I bent over and took a deep breath and something destroyed my left side for good. My night in bed sucked. I couldn't roll over and even laying on my back hurt. I'm not even sure light weights will be doable now. I may just have to face the facts and sit it out to let it heal. Thank you for your time and advice Coach, it is much appreciated. You guys provide a huge benefit, and for free no less, and I am grateful. I guess what I said is redundant because I think I explained a lot in my other response to the other guy, so forgive me. It sucks to lose all that progress. I never in my life thought I would squat 245lbs. These are all huge accomplishments for a skinny ass, non athletic guy.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 11-10-2017 at 05:30 PM. Reason: fixed quote box

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast