Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lumbar spine rounding in strong DL compared to SQ

Default Lumbar spine rounding in strong DL compared to SQ

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,

M34, 5'8.5", 185 lb
    Started SSLP in September after fooling around for a few months, but replaced PC with chins after only a few sessions due to foot injury. Currently alternating DL and chins every other session rather than DL and PC.
    Progress since then has been
    SQ: 135-240 x5x3
    DL: 275-345 x5x1
    BP: 174-211 x5x3
    Pr: 121-150 x5x3
    Ch: +50 x5x3 or 12-14 BW

I've reset my squat twice due to shoulder and elbow pain, last time from 265 to 220. The pain has also kept my BP and Pr from increasing the last few weeks. My SQ is now at 240 (and pain free), increasing 5 lb per workout, and BP and Pr are now coming along again at +2 lb per workout. Problem is, my lumbar spine starts to flex during DL. I set my back, but as I pull the slack and the bar comes off the floor, there is a slight rounding of the lower back which tends to increase during subsequent reps. I can feel it during the pull, and my videos confirm it. I repeated the last DL workout at 345, and the rounding was the same or worse as last DL (two workouts ago).

My question is really how I should progress from here.

I'm assuming that bringing my squat up to par would help. I will continue to add 5 lb to the squat every workout, and likely add a light squat day in a week or two. I plan on deloading the DL to 305-310 because I know I can keep my back in extension at that weight, and then progress with 5 lb on the DL rather than 10 lb as until now.

I found an old thread in which the advice was to deload and addiitonally add some lighter work. (https://startingstrength.com/resourc...ne-advice.html). My foot has now healed, so I can re-introduce PC, though I train at home with a standard 1" bar without rotating collars. The PC would start out weak, and perhaps not provide assistance to the DL. Additionally, I'm uncertain whether cleaning with this type of bar is worth it.

Thanking you in advance for your time.

I would not clean on a standard bar without rotating sleeves. I think you would benefit from getting better equipment, however. As for commenting on your squat and deadlift, I cannot say much from here. I do think that working hard to hold your back in extension and not adding 10 pounds to the bar every time are good ideas, however.

Thanks, Tom. Unfortunately, I knew even less about the importance of equipment when I bought it then I do now. We'll see what Santa has in mind.

Would you need a deadlift (and perhaps squat?) video to give any further advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    Would you need a deadlift (and perhaps squat?) video to give any further advice?
    Yeah. I would need to see you squat to comment on your squat. Please do read the sticky before posting, however.

I've been sick for a week, and deloaded about 10%, working back over 7-10 days.

The last month I've focused on shoulder/elbow/thoracic back position and avoiding elbow pain.
    Upon recently watching some of my squat videos, I noticed that my knees were tracking forward until I hit the bottom position, so I tried to remedy that these last two sessions.

Here is a video of today's squat session at 230 lbs:
    YouTube

And here my (deloaded) deadlift set of 293 lbs a couple of days ago, where I felt I could hold my back in extension:
    YouTube

By watching the videos you do waive the right to have me killed. My "gym" is 36 sq ft, so I've done my best filming within these restrictions :-)
    I have other angles for the squat.

Thanks again.

Thou hast not read the sticky. That causes a sad within me.

I did! Several times, actually, because I was so afraid of getting that reply and finding out I was another poster wasting your time.

I didn't know what exactly to provide in order for you to better assess my situation, so I posted both squat and deadlift videos in case they were useful. The weights were lower than they have been, but still work sets since I was coming back after a layoff. For deadlift, a weight I subjectively could handle without form breakdown in case my own judgement on form was off (I also have video of a set with low back rounding). The angles were the best I managed in my limited space.

I apologize, but I'm fumbling a little bit in the dark here. I will change what is necessary for further assessment if you choose to inform me.

Pick one video, por favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Thou hast not read the sticky. That causes a sad within me.
    It isn't good when Tom haz sads.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Pick one video, por favor.
    In that case I'll pick option A - Squats.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast