starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form check at 290lbs

Default Squat Form check at 290lbs

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi there

I' have tried SS in the past. But due to work and family life, i gave up early because I found the program hard and like most people switched to an intermediate program way too early!

Over the past year i have gained little strength and have decided to try SS one last time, with no excuses. So far the program has been working great as I have had a much better overall approach to it.

Yesterday I completed a 300lbs squat PR for 3x5! which felt great. The following video was taken last weekend with me lifting 290 for 3x5. This video is the 3rd set. Overall my squat feels pretty good, and I have been making good progress. Any tips or advice on my form is appreciated.

Thank you guys for all your hard work.

P.S. I don't think you guys will like my head position because I tend to look straight ahead. I have squatted looking down in the past but I feel it throws my body forward too much and I feel like I am going to fall forward when I look down with heavy weights.

YouTube

This video is pretty awful for doing a form check. Please read the sticky on how to film these. Hints: wrong angles, held too high, camera person moving around.

You are correct. I don't like your head position. You could almost certainly squat looking down. I suspect that having your elbows too high encourages some upper back rounding, which will cause the bar to roll upwards when you look down. Drop your elbows. Look down. Stay over the midfoot. Try it you might like it. I suspect you aren't getting quite deep enough, nor are your knees out enough, but who can say for sure from this video?

It is visible that you are breaking at the hips first, without the knees.

Hey Tom

Thanks for the reply and I should have had read the sticky before having my girlfriend film this. It really is a poor video. I will try to upload another one soon. I still have been adding weight though and yesterday I completed a 310 squat for 3x5.

Anyways thanks again and I will try to post again soon.