starting strength gym

Thread: DL Form Check/Advice

Default DL Form Check/Advice

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have been videoing myself for my own benefit and noticed on Wednesday deadlifts that I was rounding my upper back a lot. Today I attempted to "pull it out" by bringing my chest up more. Not sure if I was successful or not. I can't tell while I'm doing it, other than bringing my head up higher.

Here's a video showing Wednesday's rounding, the last warm up set today, and then the work set (sorry for the bad angle I had to move the camera all of a sudden).

I have forward head posture as well with some typical rounding when I stand or sit. Not sure if I'm seeing "normal" rounding in my upper back for me or if I'm rounding more than I should be.

Any advice is welcome and appreciated.

Watch how you bring your shins to the bar. You rock forward on to your toes. This puts you in a very bad position to pull and almost guarantees rounding of the back. Stay in the middle of your foot. Bring your shins to the bar by bending your knees and dropping your butt. Once your shins touch, don't drop your butt any more. Right now your hips are far too high. See if that helps. Also, lifting shoes are your friends. Wear em.

Sorry for posting here, only a quick question. I have the same problem as the poster about straightening my back during the setup. I asked a person in the gym if he could observe and give me feedback, and he responded by saying he would not do so before I got those damn weightlifting shoes off, because of the elevated heal. I had to deadlift barefooted because I didn't want to argue -.-

Will wearing weightlifting shoes make it easier or harder to set my back?

They are unlikely to have an effect either way on your ability to get your back in extension.