starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check & sore hamstring

Default Squat form check & sore hamstring

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello,

i would like help with review of my squat. I am currently on 100 kg-ish squat and its becoming pretty hard. Problem is that the limiting factor is becoming the hamstrings. I get very sore hamstrings after the squat and most importantly, during. To the point of allmost cramping. From what i read it shouldn't happened and is cause of bad form. But i cant figure out from the book or videos what is wrong with the form.

Some info if it could help:

• Once got sore groint for some time, figured from the forum and narrowed my squat stance. The pain went away
    • I had generaly a little weak lower back and core. It got better with training
    • Got knee operation, although i had no problem with the low bar squat so far

Squat 3 x 5 x 102.5 Kg
    YouTube

PS: Not my native language, be gentle

Your squats aren't perfect but they're pretty good, and I don't see anything that would make your hamstrings sore from them. My guess is one of the following:
    1) You're not eating nearly enough
    2) You're doing something else that's causing it

Are you following the program exactly? What is your exact workout schedule, and list every single thing you're doing? How many calories per day are you eating? Grams of protein?

Thank you for response.

It got to the point that i wasnt able to recover those hamstring even after two days off so i lowered the weight and working on a perfect form right now. I think, from the video above, that maybe a wasnt really balance over the mid foot but slightly forward. It feels a little bit better now altough i dont really feel it in my quad still (witch I am not sure i should). Anyway, here's my 3rd latest set (with the lowered weight)

YouTube

I realized i look way too close on the ground when i saw the video, will work on that.

Regarding the program and food. I am curently doing the basic A B split (squat, bench, DL and squat, OHP, PCL) with adition of chinups. Nothing more.

I dont precisly track my calories and macros (any more) but when i did i was around 3k calories a day and 150-200g of protein. I checked today food in calorie app and still looks somewhere around that. The thing is i eat quite clean, i have close to zero sugar in my diet and cook by myselft. So its kinda looks like i eat mountains of food every meal but the calories arent that high. But i gained around 5-7 kg since started SS so i dont think i eat way less than i should, but I am not sure.

Last thing is I am not quite sure where is the point of switching to some intermediate version and for example not adding weight to squat every workout, but every other etc. Maybe the 2.5 increase every workout around that 110 kg is just too much for me and hence the hamstring and recovery problem.

You are sliding forward at the bottom of your squats, but, other than that, there is nothing deeply wrong with them. Are you sure it is your hamstrings that are sore and not your adductors? For cues, get your knees in place slightly in front of your toes by the time you are halfway down. Fight to keep them in place at the bottom. Think of staying back at the bottom if that helps. Also, if you can, get yourself some lifting shoes. Based on the sign in your video, you may be in the Czech Republic. Not sure what reasonably priced lifting shoes are available locally, but squatting in socks is not ideal.