starting strength gym

Thread: Elbow Pain from Squats

Default Elbow Pain from Squats

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have been doing the program for 2 1/2 months about. Still after all this time, I still have not gotten the squat grip to a point where my left elbow feels completely fine. I know the issue. It is that there is too much of a perpendicular moment on my elbow created by the weight of the bar. If I try to allow less of the weight of the barbell onto my arms, then the barbell feels as if it is slide down my back. If I feel as if it will slide down my back, then I can't concentrate as much on the actual squatting. Should I continue with the low bar, or should I give high bar a try and see how it goes? It seems like most people on the internet are really against even the notion of going high bar.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoCole View Post
    It seems like most people on the internet are really against even the notion of going high bar.
    This is because most of the time, the issue can be resolved without doing this, though if it really and truly can't, then high bar is probably the next best option.

You'll need to post a video of your squat, that very clearly shows the bar position and your elbows and arms, for me to help more.

Okay, here's a video of yesterday:
    YouTube
    (If you feel like it, any other form suggestions would be appreciated!)

General Stuff:

1: Eat more
    2. Go an inch or two less deep
    3. Drive your hips up through the sticking point instead of switching to lifting your chest when it gets hard.

Elbow Stuff:
    It looks like you're jacking your elbows up when the rep gets grindy. You may also have them too high in general. It also looks like you don't have much hand on the bar. Though admittedly the view isn't great to see all this. I appreciate the difficulty in getting a video that shows what I asked for - it's practically impossible without a partner to video and zoom in closer for us from an actual head-height view.

That said, based on what I see:
    * Try to get more hand on the bar.
    * Bring your grip in and lower your elbows, if you can
    * Definitely stop jacking your elbows up when the rep gets slow. Your back is holding the weight, not your elbows.

Thanks for the tips!

I want to explain why I accidentally start leading with the chest. It is because in some of my tougher reps I usually allow my hips to rise without my chest even moving. I am trying to couneteract that, but once I get past the sticking point, the chest starts rising too fast.

When it comes to the elbows being jacked up, if I do not do that to some extent, the bar feels dangerously unstable and my brain is yelling at my to rack it as soon as possible. Not an ideal reaction when trying to lift heavy. This is only really a problem at the top when the back angle is about vertical though.

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoCole View Post

I want to explain why I accidentally start leading with the chest. It is because in some of my tougher reps I usually allow my hips to rise without my chest even moving. I am trying to couneteract that, but once I get past the sticking point, the chest starts rising too fast.
    Ya, that's a common issue for people who "good morning" their squats. Hips rise too fast, bar gets forward, and then you need to lift the chest prematurely to counteract the problematic angles and forward-of-midfoot bar position. So: hips drive, but KEEP chest up as you do so.

When it comes to the elbows being jacked up, if I do not do that to some extent, the bar feels dangerously unstable and my brain is yelling at my to rack it as soon as possible.
    What do you do as an alternative to jacking your elbows up, that makes you feel that way?

I bring them down further and concentrate on making back tight. But no matter how tight I make it, my back muscles just don't seem to be "pronounced" enough to support the bar.

Another reason I am thinking of switching to high bar is due to back pain, despite my best attempts to use good form. Even when I don't let my hips rise, I can still feel it mostly right after a set. I was thinking that a more vertical back angle would help out.

I'd probably have to see a video of exactly what you do, but if you can bring your elbows down further, get your grip a little closer, even if this means you have to wrap your thumbs around the bar, that may help. It doesn't always but it has helped many people with this issue.

It is possible, albeit unlikely, that you'll need to switch to high bar for the elbow reason. However, the solution to the second issue is not to run away from the issue but to learn to squat correctly.

starting strength coach development program
    Going to see Jayson Ball today, so he will probably have lots of tips and corrections, possibly some of the same that you have provided (but he will be able to help me implement them correctly). Thanks for your help!