starting strength gym

Thread: Recheck of the old man's squat

Default Recheck of the old man's squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Senior trainee, 69 years old and 148#. I have been on the program 9 weeks with one week off for vacation. The nearest coach is a 2 day ordeal, so I'm fumbling along with the books.

My first Squat Check is here if you want to review it - https://startingstrength.com/resourc...uat-check.html

This is the last set from last Friday at 182.5X5X3. I know, I don’t have shoes on. Barefoot is more stable than the squishy sneakers I have. I do have lifting shoes on order. I am still working on getting my wrists straight. The arms just don’t like bending like that any more. For some reason it is easier to get the bar down where it’s supposed to be with my thumbs around the bar. I am still working on it and I will get there eventually.

Squat video: YouTube

And thank you for the time you put into helping us independents. I read the "Never Again" thread and think you should revisit a for fee option, maybe do a single analysis of all 4 primary lifts at one time for a single fee or something. I'd be willing to pay something. It would be a lot better than getting advice from the local guys that think thrash-about is how you get strong. No way I can afford online coaching on my fixed income, no matter how good or helpful it would be.

Thanks for the kind words. Glad you have the lifting shoes on order, I think you'll like them a lot. Regarding your grip, it is certainly possible that given your age and late start to squatting, you'll need to keep the thumbs around grip. That's not a big deal, especially if nothing about it is bothering you, but you might want to get some wrist wraps for extra protection just in case.

I took a quick look at your old squat video too, and you've done an excellent job both improving your form and adding 60 lbs to your squat in two months! I don't even know you but I'm already proud of you.

To echo what Tom told you last time, I'd still like to see you cut off just a bit more depth - though the angle is different here and not as conducive to judging depth, I think you're still a little deeper than you need to be, though less so than before. So cut another inch or two off depth - remember that YOU control the descent and decide where to turn around the squat from descent to ascent. Do so just a bit sooner than you have been. And also, as Tom mentioned last time: take a bigger breath and really lock in all the trunk musculature fully before beginning your descent. You're still breathing in on some reps when you begin to descend. There should be a full inhalation at the top, then a moment of pause as you lock your trunk down, before you descend.

Regarding the other stuff you mentioned, there are some logistical challenges with offering that kind of pay-for form check service. We may always change our minds, but for now, we're gonna stick with the current system.

You have made my day. Thank you.

I have progressed to 192 1/2X5X3 on the squat this morning. My dead lift last Friday was 245X5X1. I think I have reached the end of my ability to squat and lift 3 days a week, even with 2.5# increments. I'm going to try a light squat and light dead lift to extend recovery. I'm mostly sure that I will make 200# squat and 250# dead lift for Christmas.

I don't know how you guys pick the cities to hold clinics in, but the I-4 corridor here in Florida (Tampa/St. Pete/Orlando) would be nice. I'm sure I'm not the only SS practitioner around here.

Have you been adding 2.5 lbs to squat and DL, each 3x/weekly? If so, yes, definitely do a light day in the middle of the week. In fact, I'd suggest skipping the DL on the middle day altogether. Do one lighter and one heavy DL day, and two heavy and one light squat days.

That area is ripe for an SSC to be sure. It's tempting to go there myself. Now that I have a 100 lb dog who wants to run around and play, and now that the northeast winter has hit with our first snow over the weekend, relocation to a warmer area where I can have a big fenced in yard is very tempting.

This thread is awesome. The improvement in form based on one form check is inspiring.

starting strength coach development program
    Agreed. It's incredible how many guys in their 20s and 30s who are supposedly "training," haven't done anything close to this kind of improvement.