starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello coaches!

Looking for some help on my squat. I知 having difficulty hitting depth and I知 at a loss on how to fix it. I feel like I知 going as low as I can possibly get but the video evidence tells me otherwise.

42yo Male
    340lbs

Thanks for taking a look.

YouTube

Yes, these are definitely high, though they get a little deeper and closer to below parallel as the set goes on. However there is nothing preventing you from going the necessary few inches deeper, except your head. Go down to 300-315, and make yourself go deep, no matter what. What you currently perceive as deep, is actually about 3 inches high, so just keep going 3 inches deeper, and don't let yourself come back up until you do. Film and watch the set immediately afterwards to see if you actually did it. If not, you know you have to go deeper still. If yes, then memorize that feeling of what depth felt like and repeat it.

Once you've got that down, start adding weight again, 5 lbs at a time, while maintaining depth.

No shortcuts, no tricks, but when done with discipline, this always works.

Hi Micheal

I appreciate the feedback! I致e been away from training due to illness but I知 back at it now.

Just to clarify my last video was me squatting 295. I dropped the weight down to 265lbs and I think I was able to get below parallel. I致e linked the top set below. If you have any other critiques please let me know.

Best!

YouTube

Depth looks good here, nice work on that. Try to get the feel for that spot so you don't have to slow down so much to reach it, but instead, go down at a controlled-but-not-slow pace, so you can get a good bounce out of the bottom.

Speaking of which, drive your HIPS up immediately out of the hole. You're currently doing a weird combo of first lifting your chest, then driving your hips excessively so they rise faster than your torso. Instead, drive your hips immediately when you switch from descent to ascent, but do so in a way that keeps your back angle constant, instead of getting your hips up ahead of your chest/shoulders.