starting strength gym

Thread: Critique my Squat

Default Critique my Squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Coaches,

I'd like to thank you for providing this resource.

Can you please critique my squat?

You really need to get your upper back into extension. You're rounded quite a bit, and this is affecting your whole squat. You need to do this before you unrack the bar. Get your chest up high and proud, this "Superman Chest!" like this pic:

Get this way before you unrack the bar and then hold your upper back that way throughout the rest of the movement - during reps and between reps. Moving your gaze out a couple feet further away will help reinforce this, probably on the base of the wall in front of you about a foot below the mirror. While the mirror there isn't ideal and you'll have to work to not be distracted by it, that's better than looking so extremely down as you're currently doing, and will reinforce the "chest up, upper back flat position."

If you get this right, you also won't have to jack your elbows up like you're doing now, especially on the ascent.

Last (for now) but not least: drive your HIPS up, don't lift your chest.

Thank you very much for the feedback, and the helpful illustration! I will work on these things and follow up with another video in time.

Squeeze your scapula together hard which will spread your chest and make it "proud" like Wolf mentioned. That, along with changing your gaze as stated by Wolf will do wonders for keeping your back straight so you can transfer force from your hips to the bar.

Thank you Randy.

I've trained twice since the video clip and my squat now feels markedly better, in that everything is tight and strong. I'll continue for a few more training sessions before reporting back.