starting strength gym

Thread: Splitting Program AM/PM?

Default Splitting Program AM/PM?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    42 year old male @215lbs running a bastardized 4 day split. 5/3/1 for deads and squats (working up to top set and running two drop sets to get enough volume on squat, deads running as written) and Andy Baker's 8/5/2 for bench and press (3 sets across for 8/5/2). Deads and squat days use supplemental lifts for the opposing lift (rack pulls, deficit deads, box squats), press days always use supplemental bench lift (CGB and pause bench.) All days followed by two accessory movements (RDL's, Curls, Chins, Dips, LTE's).

I teach school and coach in the afternoons (three sports) as well as having a family so having a 1.5 hr workout in the afternoons is kind of difficult even with my gym being right behind my house in my barn. My question is pretty simple; Would there be any harm in splitting the workouts into an AM/PM split? For example, could I do the main lift or supplemental lift in the morning and then do my supplemental/accessory lifts in the PM? Just trying to spend a little less time away from the fam in the late afternoons. I feel like I know the answer, but I want a little affirmation.

Thanks for your time!

It's probably better to be able to do it all at once, but it's better to get it all in over two sessions on the same day than only do half the workout. As the great Thomas Sowell says, "Life doesn't ask us what we want, it presents us with options." In your case, splitting the workout up into two sessions is probably the better option, rather than only doing half the work.

Answer was what I was expecting. Like I said, just need some affirmation sometimes.

Tried it today for the first time. Main lift in the AM and then supplemental/accessory this afternoon. I was able to do more weight on the paused benches since I was not fatigued from the bench sets this AM still. Could wind up being a boon. I'll keep close tabs on it and see what my numbers do.

Thanks Wolf!

Interesting. What I was thinking, and what I have personally experienced, is that during the workout itself, the longer term fatigue and recovery processes haven't kicked in yet, so I'm able to do better. Usually by a few hours later, I am more tired and beat up from a hard workout than at the end of it, and wouldn't be able to do as much as I could during the workout itself.

I'll report back once I have a month or two of data.

Definitely enjoyed the shorter workout time and REALLY enjoyed being in there in the AM and the PM. That is about the only time I have that is exclusively "mine" and it was nice to start my morning and end the work day that way.

starting strength coach development program
    Similar age and done this a fair bit. I find I feel fresher the next day by doing heavy sets AM then I do PM (finish 9:30pm, shake, work prep, sleep, wake up 4am for a piss).

I also tend to do more of the ancillary stuff properly as I'm not cutting it short due to time constraints. If I miss AM session I do the heavy lift PM and whatever else I can squeeze in. I don't know the physical effects of such a split but mentally it works well when I need it.