starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check - Shoulder Pain

Default Squat Form Check - Shoulder Pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Coach,

I have been doing starting strength linear progression, my squat reaching 300 lbs my previous workout. I decided to reset to 275, since I felt that my form was compromised a bit and since I have also been experiencing pain in the front part of my left shoulder (no pain in the right), which sometimes is also felt down my bicep a bit. Some days it is very painful, and it only occurs during and after my squats - my last couple warmup sets and work sets. This pain has not seemed to affect my other lifts, as I have continued on LP for bench, press, deadlift, and power clean.

I have read other threads that pertain to shoulder pain from squats, and I have learned a lot from them and tried to implement some of those strategies. However, I figured sets of eyes other than mine would be beneficial in this regard. Below is my 3rd set of 275. I noticed that the bar is rolling a bit, but my evaluation of low bar squat form is certainly not as effective as yours. Thank you.

squatformcheck 12 11 17 - YouTube

P.S. I mistakenly posted this in the Repetitive Inquiries forum, but without a delete or edit function, I wanted the thread in this location.

Your squats don't look bad at all. Your stance appears to be a bit too wide and you would greatly benefit from some proper lifting shoes. I cannot comment on depth from a standing position, but you are not obviously high. I suspect depth is okay, but I reserve the right to change my mind on that. As to your shoulder pain, you have a couple of options. The first is to drop your elbows a little. Right now your shoulder is in overextension. You may be doing the elbows up cue a little too much. See if dropping the elbows a little helps. Play with grip width, too. Move a finger width at a time to see what helps. Also, consider wrapping your thumb around the bar. This might beat on your wrist, but buy your shoulder some relief. In which case, some wrist wraps might help. Give those things a try.