starting strength gym

Thread: Squat weight increments

Default Squat weight increments

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    For a 6'2" 200lbs 30 year old male, what should the weight increase be? I keep hearing add 5lbs to squat each work day on the SS videos but my app is increasing it 10lbs a workout even though I'm on week 2.

Books been sold out for 2 weeks on Amazon so I can't RTFM at the moment.

Thanks

I think the best way to think of the app is as a general guide for people who have no other resources. It's not a substitute for reading, comprehending, and correctly applying the principles laid down in , the books, or asking the opinion of someone who has. It's a simple algorithm that gets pretty close to the mark in general, but can't possibly account for the many variables that go into answering a Q like yours.

For example, if you were a 385lb high bar squatter doing low bar for the first time, and you had to deload to 185 to think your way through the reps and do them correctly, you could probably add 10 lbs per workout for a month.

Without more info (see the sticky), I can't tell you for sure, but for the vast majority of 200 lb men, 10 lb increases are only meant for 1-3 workouts.

OP, if Amazon is sold out, why not hit Aasgard up directly? Books | The Aasgaard Company

A fine suggestion, RussB.

You can change the increment in the app. It's under settings, select squat (for example) and change the increment to 5 lbs

starting strength coach development program
    I consider my starting point on Nov1 after doing a couple trial runs really focusing on technique. I had previous large numbers 25 years ago and other than fine tuning some technique, my form was pretty good to start. I probably started lower than I needed to, but didn't want to rush things. With squat, I went from 130 to 230 in 10 sessions with 10lb jumps. At 230, it started to feel like it was getting hard, so I just instinctively jumped to 5lb increments and have stayed with that to date.

For deadlift, it was almost identical. Started with 135 and went to 240 in that same 10 sessions and then bumped down to 7lb increments until I hit 270 and now I am doing 5lb increments.