starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stalling on Modified Old Man Texas/WM

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Intricate35 View Post
    Side note on the stance. I will try a narrower stance, but my quads are very large near my groin, and, how shall I say this, smash certain anatomy parts in that position the closer my legs are.

Maybe this is just something I need to adapt to :P?
    Dude. I take quite a bit more narrow a stance than you and I'm pretty sure mine and Chase's thighs are bigger than yours. Turn your toes out and watch this vid:

Not everyone can get away with a narrow stance, but many can and you look like you can, so it's worth trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Dude. I take quite a bit more narrow a stance than you and I'm pretty sure mine and Chase's thighs are bigger than yours. Turn your toes out and watch this vid:

Not everyone can get away with a narrow stance, but many can and you look like you can, so it's worth trying.
    Good point . I'll pull them in closer today coach. Good day too as today is Day 1 for me . Have a great weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Intricate35 View Post
    Thanks Mike. Funny how when I'm doing the reps they feel like they are moving at a snails pace.

As for the technique. This is how it looks from the side:

YouTube

This was about a month ago during LP, but my set up is identical. I dips my hips, squeeze right before the pull, and try to explode up. I have tried the standard set up of pulling the slack out slowly after setting the shins, and then pulling from a higher hip position, but can't seem to move nearly as much weight (I'm talking 100 lbs less). It always seems to push the bar away from my shins, and my quads don't seem to be getting involved to break the bar off the ground.

If this will cause long term issues, let me know. I'm not above a form reset.

As for the localized recovery issues, I think you hit the nail on the head. I don't know if it was the stress of going back to work, or Christmas, or whatever. That seems to be exactly what it was as my "strength" seems to have returned. It just coincided with my switch to intermediate and nothing else seemed to be an apparent issue hence my dilemma. Hopefully things will begin moving upwards and I can hit that 1200 total I have my eye on . I'm even considering upping my calories even more, as according to Rip at 5' 10" I should weight 250 instead of the paltry 215 I am right now.
    Yes, you're not pulling efficiently. The most likely reasons you can't lift as much doing it our way are 1) you're probably not following the five steps correctly - most people don't, without some guidance, and 2) You've grooved an inefficient pattern and gotten very good at doing it inefficiently. Even assuming #1 is wrong and that you did do the 5 steps correctly, #2 would still be in play. The vast majority of the time, when I coach a more experienced lifter who has gotten good at doing things another way, they need to go down to about 70-75% of their normal weight to learn to do it our way properly and correctly, without reverting to their previously grooved habits. It needs to be heavy enough to feel the weight but not so heavy that you immediately revert back to your usual grooved habits ("autopilot") and can think your way through the rep to follow the new instructions. Depending on the lifter, I've found that it usually takes about 3-8 exposures to doing it the new way before it feels good and the new way is grooved. Once that happens, you're better off than you were before.

As far as the recovery, ok - seems like we've got that pinned down. I don't think you need to get to 250, however - that would be more like for a nationally or internationally competitive lifter, who is optimizing every possible part of his life to be for lifting heavier.

Looping back to this for a second, to thank Wolf.

Wolf -
    the transitional programming you recommended in an earlier post, "The Wolf Method", was exactly the right suggestion for me coming off my latest LP. Yesterday and Today, I hit 3 lifetime PRs in squat, bench, and deadlift, and earlier this week, an easy rep PR on the press. I have signed up for my first meet, and will essentially be running this through a second time, per your recommendation, as prep. Thank you for the clear and detailed advice you give here, it's been a real help to this lifter.

starting strength coach development program
    Good to hear it's worked out so well for you. I have run it pretty successfully with several dozen people now, but am definitely still observing and tweaking it as I go. The WM has been and continues to be my ongoing attempt to synthesize what I have learned and observed about immediate post-Novices into a workable and specific weekly program with weight assignment targets for the lifter each day, as well as weekly PRs that express the strength built by volume, teach the now no longer novice lifter the skill of strength, and also provide a strength stimulus in and of themselves, that's recoverable within the weekly period. But that also allows for a small range of choice for weight selection (esp on volume days) suitable to the lifter's limited but growing level of judgement.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123