starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm stuck on 325lb deadlift. What to do now?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    By "1st phase" I'm guessing you mean you're still deadlifting every workout? If so, that's probably the issue. You should have switched to alternating the DL with the clean (or chins or BB Rows) about 2-3 weeks ago, most likely.
    Did my last message not come through? I'll post it again just in case.

Yes I was deadlifting every workout, but I've just switched to the 2nd phase this week.

As for "novice", "intermediate" and "advanced", I'm not 100% sure on what the difference actually is. Should novices be doing full body workouts, intermediates be doing upper body, lower body splits and advanced lifters be doing push, pull legs?

Am I still a novice considering the weight I lift and the fact I'm still making progress on SS.

Quote Originally Posted by KrnxMan86 View Post
    I just started the 2nd phase of SS this week. Yes I was deadlifting every workout but obviously not as of this week.

To be honest i'm not 100% sure of what constitutes "novice", "intermediate" or "advanced". Should novice lifters be doing full body workouts like SS, intermediate lifters be doing upper body, lower body splits and advanced lifters be doing push, pull leg routines? Is that right?

I'm guessing i'm still a novice considering the weight I lift and that I'm still making progress on SS. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
    Your reply suggests you're genuinely interested in learning, which is a nice break from the entitled masses who post questions here that we've answered hundreds of times before and get mad when we refer them to those sources instead of wasting our time spoonfeeding them material that we've already spent countless hours making available.

So that's good.

Here's a start: Read this article by Rip, that's now over 7 years old: Who Wants to Be a Novice? You Do. | T Nation

Here's the money quote, for you:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe
    A "novice" lifter is a trainee who is so unadapted to the stress of lifting weights that he can make progress as rapidly as he can stress himself and recover, a process that actually takes no more than 48-72 hours.
    Think about that for a moment, and how it applies to your question. There is no "weight" that transitions you from phases within the Novice LP, or from Novice to Intermediate to Advanced phases of your training career. It is a function of how quick you can apply a stress, then recover and adapt to that stress to get stronger. A D1 lineman might deadlift 575x5 on Monday and be able to do 580x5 by Wednesday or Thursday. An average guy might do 265x5 Monday and 270x5 by Weds. A 61 year old woman who's never trained until a month ago might do 85x5 on Monday and 90x5 on Wednesday. The point is, it has nothing to do with how much weight is on the bar: genetic potential, age, weight, and myriad other factors will dictate the weight on the bar. It's how quickly you go through this Stress -> Recovery -> Adaptation cycle.

There is some variation within Novice, too, and that's why there are different phases. The phases aren't meant to be exact prescriptions, only someone who already has the experience and knows what they're doing can say with high confidence when you should move from one stage to the next but common sense helps a lot. The phases are general average recommendations, but they can vary a lot person to person - some people can DL every session, adding 10 lbs, for 4 weeks. This is rare, but not absolutely unheard of. Most people DL every session for 1-2 weeks, add 10 lbs for a week, and then switch to 5. The point is, the rate of adaptation varies significantly person to person so you need to learn the principles behind the general recs if you're going to apply this at all.

That article I linked above is a good start. I suspect you haven't read the actual books: SSBBT3 and PPST3. You will be doing yourself a massive favor if you do so - and also, that's all I'm going to do here, to spell out the concepts for you that are discussed there at great length and detail.

Quote Originally Posted by KrnxMan86 View Post
    Did my last message not come through? I'll post it again just in case.

Yes I was deadlifting every workout, but I've just switched to the 2nd phase this week.

As for "novice", "intermediate" and "advanced", I'm not 100% sure on what the difference actually is. Should novices be doing full body workouts, intermediates be doing upper body, lower body splits and advanced lifters be doing push, pull legs?

Am I still a novice considering the weight I lift and the fact I'm still making progress on SS.
    Another thing for you to read: The sticky at the top of this board. This is a moderated board, your posts all need to be approved by a mod before posting, so don't appear instantly. Read the sticky.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sticky
    Read the book(s). This forum is not a substitute for the texts upon which the method and model we use here are based. Basic questions about topics that are addressed at length in the foundational texts may get short answers, or not answered at all. Obviously this does not apply to follow-up questions, clarifications, counter-analyses, etc. However, the basic material of the book answers many questions we receive, so don't be surprised if we direct you there when appropriate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Also The Sticky
    Ask your question once and be patient. Your post will not show until we approve it. It sometimes takes a few days to get to all the posts. Posting the same question in Rip’s Q&A, Andy’s Q&A, someone’s Facebook page, and then here, or posting multiple times here, tells us you want to be ignored or deleted.
    We answer these questions for free. Respect and courtesy go a long way. Enjoy and ask away.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 02-14-2018 at 10:14 AM.

Yes, that's usually a tell that the person read something online about SS and hasn't actually done any real reading or research. That and the post count. But I was trying to still be helpful. Hopefully this won't be another giant waste of time, like that punk Bobby32.
    That thread is something indeed. How do adults even end up being like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Giri Kotte View Post
    That thread is something indeed. How do adults even end up being like that?
    IIRC Bobby said somewhere that he's 15, and I believe him.

[long ass, very articulate post]
    Man, Wolf, you really have a passion for teaching this. God bless.
    Hope you don't lose your patience over time like Rip.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Cavallari View Post
    Man, Wolf, you really have a passion for teaching this. God bless.
    Hope you don't lose your patience over time like Rip.
    Oh, five years after starting this sub-forum, I have definitely lost some of it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12