starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm stuck on 325lb deadlift. What to do now?

Question I'm stuck on 325lb deadlift. What to do now?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've been doing SS for one month now and have been making pretty good progress. I'm still in the 1st phase, and am currently squatting 253 lbs and benching 204 lbs. However a week ago, I was able to deadlift 320 lbs for 5 reps, but the last two workouts I was only able to deadlift 325lbs for 2 reps in a row.
    Why has it plateaued like this? Do I need to move onto the 2nd phase now?

By "1st phase" I'm guessing you mean you're still deadlifting every workout? If so, that's probably the issue. You should have switched to alternating the DL with the clean (or chins or BB Rows) about 2-3 weeks ago, most likely.

So roughly how much weight should you be deadlifting that is too heavy to being doing every workout?

Oh boy, you have a lot to learn. You're not even thinking along the right lines yet, and we have helpfully published all the material that will help you answer these questions: on this board, in the SS book, and in PPST3. You need to start by letting me you know what the definitions of Novice, Intermediate, and Advanced are, and then we'll go from there.

It would also help me want to be more helpful to you if you would actually have answered my question about your DL frequency.

The "phases" thing is often telling.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    The "phases" thing is often telling.
    Yes, that's usually a tell that the person read something online about SS and hasn't actually done any real reading or research. That and the post count. But I was trying to still be helpful. Hopefully this won't be another giant waste of time, like that punk Bobby32.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Yes, that's usually a tell that the person read something online about SS and hasn't actually done any real reading or research. That and the post count. But I was trying to still be helpful. Hopefully this won't be another giant waste of time, like that punk Bobby32.
    We need a Bobby32 "greatest hits" thread. Wait, can someone explain what a thread is? And how much weight can a thread support?

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    We need a Bobby32 "greatest hits" thread. Wait, can someone explain what a thread is? And how much weight can a thread support?
    Sounds like you're just the man for the job.

Oh God they are multiplying!

Wolf you have the patience of a saint....especially with all the time commitments you have. Just wanted to let you know that you coaches are all appreciated by the rarely posting forum lurkers!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    Oh boy, you have a lot to learn. You're not even thinking along the right lines yet, and we have helpfully published all the material that will help you answer these questions: on this board, in the SS book, and in PPST3. You need to start by letting me you know what the definitions of Novice, Intermediate, and Advanced are, and then we'll go from there.

It would also help me want to be more helpful to you if you would actually have answered my question about your DL frequency.
    I just started the 2nd phase of SS this week. Yes I was deadlifting every workout but obviously not as of this week.

To be honest i'm not 100% sure of what constitutes "novice", "intermediate" or "advanced". Should novice lifters be doing full body workouts like SS, intermediate lifters be doing upper body, lower body splits and advanced lifters be doing push, pull leg routines? Is that right?

I'm guessing i'm still a novice considering the weight I lift and that I'm still making progress on SS. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast