starting strength gym

Thread: Heelsl lifting and ankles shifting during squat

Default Heelsl lifting and ankles shifting during squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024

Hello coaches. I have developed this very bad habit where my feet are moving around a lot during my squat. Looking closely through older videos, I can see some slight heel lift of my left foot only while squatting, but now it is both feet, and more than a little movement. I purchased new weightlifting shoes a few months ago, but saw this was also happening with the older shoes. The only other change I can think of, is I am doing a lot more walking in a new job. My ankles are fairly sore in the morning when I first get up. Both ankles were sprained pretty badly, but this was over 5 years ago. I've tried a wider stance, and flaring my toes out more, but still can't find a solution. 45 years old, intermediate lifter. I attended a seminar in 2016 and this wasn't an issue then. My main focus while squatting is keeping that left knee from punching forward at the bottom (squat looks much better when filmed from the right), and my elbows down, both of which I understand are not great in this video. Thank you for your time.

Have you noticed the bar path on every rep that your feet shift? Remember the master cue! Bar path in a straight vertical line over the mid-foot.

Yes. When I watch in slow motion I see it shift forward. I try and think ‘heels’ so as to over cue the whole way down and back up but as I figure I’m getting forward ofmid foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mullany View Post
    Yes. When I watch in slow motion I see it shift forward. I try and think ‘heels’ so as to over cue the whole way down and back up but as I figure I’m getting forward ofmid foot.
    You figure correctly.

Thank you for looking coach. If you don’t mind me asking, how does my squat look overall? Is there anything else I should be focusing on or trying to correct?

starting strength coach development program
    Just fix your bar path then see how they look. You have a little knee movement at the bottom that still needs to go away, but you already knew that.