starting strength gym

Thread: LP Deadlift weight add-ons

Default LP Deadlift weight add-ons

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Greetings,

I’ve been following the NLP for about 6 weeks, and my stats are as follows...

Height: 5’10”
    Weight: 190 —> 201
    Squat: 150 —> 235 (recently deloaded from 260 due to pulled upper back muscle)
    Press: 75 —> 115
    Bench Press: 150 —> 185
    Power Clean: 45 —> 95
    Deadlift: 150 —> 250

My question surrounds the deadlift. How much longer can I expect to keep adding 10 lbs to the bar? Should I have already lowered it to 5 lbs? Thank you in advance.

As an aside, even prior to SSLP, my squat had always been ahead of my deadlift, until now with my recent deload. I had already lowered my squat add-on to 5 lbs, but should I lower it further (10 lbs/ week) to give my deadlift time to get further ahead?

Don't worry about squat and DL ratios - they're not inherently meaningful, other than as a possible indication that you're doing something wrong on your squat (usually it's high). Though most people DL more than they squat, some are closer together and a few people (short arms etc) squat more than they DL.

But to answer your Q, yes, switch DL increases to 5 lbs.

When you say “usually it’s high” do you mean the lifter is not squatting low enough to get past parallel? Thanks for the clarification.

Yes - that's often the simple and obvious reason why someone's squat is heavier than their DL, but not always.

In my most recent DL session, I went with a 5 lb jump (255) but only managed 2 reps. I honestly think it was psychological, since I am expecting the birth of my first child any day now, and the last thing I want is an injury if going with 10 lb jumps for so long has compromised my adaptation. I almost guaranteed to miss a workout or two the the coming week as well. Would you recommend, given my life circumstances, that I reset my DL and immediately work with 5 lb jumps?

Given your life circumstances, I expect you to not really be able to run the SSLP as intended. Take care of your wife and kid, and get back to training when you can.

Quote Originally Posted by JHypers View Post
    Would you recommend, given my life circumstances, that I reset my DL and immediately work with 5 lb jumps?
    I'm expecting my fifth in a matter of weeks, but I would echo Wolf's advice. Having your first child is a heavy mental stress, and will absolutely tear your mind up. Get mom and baby home healthy and happy, then do your reset.

Incidentally, that stress may or may not decrease with subsequent births. For me, it has. For others (some of whom have 10 kids), each birth is maximally stressful (and this is just for the father).

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

In my most recent DL session, I went with a 5 lb jump (255) but only managed 2 reps. I honestly think it was psychological, since I am expecting the birth of my first child any day now, and the last thing I want is an injury if going with 10 lb jumps for so long has compromised my adaptation. I almost guaranteed to miss a workout or two the the coming week as well. Would you recommend, given my life circumstances, that I reset my DL and immediately work with 5 lb jumps?
    I had the exact same issue as you did last January. The short version is, you are almost certain to miss at least a week of gym time for the birth and first few days home. Then, assuming you help with the late night feedings (I changed the diaper then my wife did the feeding...always change the diaper first, trust me...and sometimes took rocking duty if our little one was having trouble going back to sleep), your sleep is going to be very subpar for another few months afterwards.

That said, I hit all-time PRs five months after my son was born, because my training was consistent enough...even if I shit the bed some weeks because of bad sleep, etc. I had to readjust my training schedule to make it work, but I did--and you'd be surprised how much a baby can light a fire under your ass to take better care of yourself. So you can definitely make progress...you just have to be realistic.

Thanks for the advice fellow fathers. My daughter was born a couple days ago, so her mom and I are in full-swing noob parent mode figuring stuff out as we go. I will keep the change-then-feed routine in mind, for sure. The lifting will resume when ready.

starting strength coach development program
    My daughter was born a couple days ago, so her mom and I are in full-swing noob parent mode figuring stuff out as we go.
    Congratulations! And I hope you find some sleep.